Whats the favourite gig....

Anything not specifically related to Bass
Dan

Whats the favourite gig....

Post by Dan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 pm

That you yourself have done? Big or small? Why was it awesome?

I think the most fun (and definitely most crazy) one I ever did was when I was playing with a band in Dubai...we had a residency for 6 months at the Hard Rock Cafe. Due to the Hard Rock being quite an american icon, and the fact that the Iraq war was warming up (2003), we got roped into doing alot of gigs for the U.S marines/navy as their main port for the war effort was in Dubai.

This one particular gig was for the U.S.S. Nimitz, the flagship of the US Navy....with 7000 people who hadn't set foot on land for 4 months. We were set up on the back of a trailer just off the bow of the ship and man, those buggers went absolutely mental. We played for about 4 and half hours, they drank enough booze to sink the ship, and we had 3 different marines break bones in the crazy mob in front of the stage. Each time it happened, we had to stop playing while the Military Police came in to get them......then carry them out while the whole crowd clapped them off!

They were a mental bunch, openly and proudly talking about how many Iraqi soldiers they had killed etc....but immensely proud people. The lowering of the American flag at Dusk was something I won't forget in a hurry! Some of the tales were horrific, and the emotion when some of the soldiers talked about their mates saving their lives was quite overwhelming. Definitely an eye-opener for a young alcoholic kiwi band a long way from home!

A bit of a random topic I know, but I'd be interested in what you guys think was the best/funnest/weirdest/most memorable gig you have done, and why. Sometimes its not the biggest or the most prestigious ones that give you an experience to remember!

Go!

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Re: Whats the favourite gig....

Post by definite » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:41 pm

HANGMAN played the Black Power pad in Mt Wellington last year - it was mean as, totally not what you might expect - its pretty cool to have some of the hardest men (and women haha) around coming up to you afterwards and thanking you for 'blessing them with our music' .

Was a great time - sure, maybe not for the faint hearted but a memorable gig thats for sure!

ps bear in mind - we are not a 'Maori reggae band' either - straight original alternative rock so there was no easy way to win them over - we just had to step up and hope for the best!

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am

Sheeessshhh.... those are two gigs that are dam hard to follow up.
An aircraft carrier Dan? I meen sheeeeeeesh.
And the Black power pad wouldn't be a place i'd venture into lightly!

Probibly my favourite was a going away party for a friend donkeys years ago. The band was put together on the night with a whole lot of mates in this tiny flat in grey lynn. Spa pool was filled with ice and bevvies and the place was bursting at the seams. it was so packed it could hardly move my arms. Loved every minute of it. 8)

Strange how they go so quick don't you recon? :?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Man they sound like some good gigs boyz.....An AIRCRAFT CARRIER!!! haha.

We had a gig at a bikers club in Christchurch awhile ago. I remember there was a V8 trike hanging from the ceiling and a hubcap of joints being passed around!!

Another gig we did was for the Canterbury University "Back to School Pub Crawl". It was at the old JetSet on Madras Street on a friday afternoon. We got there and setup and was told all the people would be there at 3 oclock or something and at 3 on the dot 300+ absolutely pissed as students came rolling in. We played for about 30mins and then got asked to stop so the STRIPPER could do her routine. So we all parked up on the drum riser and this Stripper did her thing right in front of us. At one stage Simon our drummer offered her his drumstick which she used in her act and she also decided she liked the look of the neck of my Stingray hahahaha. We did another hour set after that too!
Oh the memories!
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Small

a ferkin hot night @ the Wunderbar Lyttleton
Band just played good. It was a privilege to be apart of it, happy punters happy band.

Big

did an entry by stealth in pitch black routine once
then Bang the lights are on
I'm like blind :D can make out a sea of humanity in front of me but that was it really.
the first number was a bit of finger buster, anyway those were the days.

honorable mention to performing instrumental funk whilst acrobat's on same stage perform their choreographed moves to the band. Brain space required for that gig, to concentrate on tempo a lot, as opposed to the normal, which is hardly ever :lol:
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Best originals gig would just about be our gig we just did on Saturday back in our hometown (Methven). It was our first gig back with our new guitarist and instead of playing in the bar which we usually do we setup the big stage next door in the function room and put on a cover charge. We had 312 people through the door and it was awsome having them sing our tunes back at us.
It blew our new guitarist George's mind!!

Small but awsome.........
When we played in Ashburton at Millies bar opening for Atlas and played one of those really tight rocking sets where the crowd didn't really get up and mosh but really listened and were locked onto every word and chord!
We had heaps of great feedback that night from everyone and they weren't even dancing which was weird....but good.

Havn't really done any HUGE gigs, rocking out with Elemeno P at another University booze-up was fun and playing at the Area9 festival was pretty cool even though we played at 10:30 in the morning (funniest thing was that although we all started drinking Jagermeister at 9AM SIX 60 played 2 hours before us and downed a bottle of whiskey ON STAGE! at 6 in the morning!)
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:04 pm

LMAO at the Stingray neck bit dannowilso.
I have not been involved in any major gigs but there have been some good ones
It's hard to pick one but my favorite was at the Mussle inn, Golden bay one new years eve. It is just a little venue that would hold about 150 people tops, must have been about 300. I can't put my finger on why I liked it so much. We were just on form and the crowd was just really happy and partying hard...The really nice free beer they brew there helped too , maybe to much :mrgreen:
Oh and I met who would become my kids mum there that night lol

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:02 pm

From a purely musical/ playing perspective I remember a HANGMAN gig at The Yot Club (yes that is the spelling lol) in Raglan early last year - I distinctly remember the feeling of the band playing so cohesively tight and intensely that it was like a force-field was around us and nothing could penetrate it! I know that sounds OTT but honestly it was almost surreal.
At that precise moment I felt like we were the best band in the world - ever! LOL :twisted:

by the way i dont drink and cannot play wasted so I was straight haha!

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:10 pm

I hear you Def, sometimes you can lift above everything and almost get to a "musical nirvana" type state. I'll be honest, in all the gigs I've done thats probably only happened twice, but its enough to keep me striving!

Some interesting stories guys, quite a good read :) Keep 'em coming, don't be shy!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:57 pm

having a tired and emotional punter thank us for playing her wedding song

problem was it was an original getting it's first public airing.

2 Hen Party meet and greet, ie: all in brawl @ the Equestrian :) If blokes fought like that it'll be Feds, Dogs and Nightsticks.

call up gigs or subs where you 'click' with the other guys

Gigs where you get to share teh stage with some cat on top of their game , they are going for it and because we play Bass we get to hear it, properly. :) I've found this mostly true of Horn Players, sometimes the most memorable gig trips are hearing them 'get it'.

Covers gig, Drummer forgets Kick Pedal :lol:
crikey
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Hadn't been in a band for a year, then getting the call from the keyboard/guitarist after tech saying "Good news and bad news. Good news - we got a gig this weekend"."But Sam, we haven't got a band"."No worries, Dave (our former guitarist) has put one together, but no keys or bass."."Cool, what's the bad news?"."It's in Katikati". Had to "borrow" mums car (the olds were overseas) to do it, but it was just great being back on the scene again. Led to a number of gigs down Katikati way, had a great time.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Crikey! I dunno, I've had a lot of great gigs, I guess I cant think of anything that stands out. Played to 5000 people, played reunions, played in a ginormous aircraft hanger at Whenuapai, played on the deck of a tuna boat out at sea during the round the world yacht races, too many to remember.

Davo
Bronze Member

Post by Davo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:58 am

A few years ago at a time when I was between bands.

I got a call from a friend's sister about a party that they wanted a band at.

Her: "Hey, are are you still in a band?"

Me: "Not really at the moment, looking for a new band to play in. Why?"

Her: "That's a shame. We (student nurses) are having a toga party at the student accommodation on Saturday night and we want to have a band playing. It's going to be a blast!"

Me: "What time do you want us there? :-) "

I got of the phone and got hold of three friends. Strangely enough, they were just as keen as me.
She was right, it was a lot of fun, last days of Rome etc, ................ :-)
62 Fender Jazz
64 Hofner 500/1
64 Hofner Senator Bass
68 Ampeg AMUB-1 fretless
71 Fender P Bass
80 Aria Pro II SB700
81 Ibanez Roadster fretless
97 RI Fender Jazz 62 RI
09 Rickenbacker 4003
Squier Bass VI

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Fender Bassman 610

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:27 am

I don't have a 'favourite gig' per se, but I do have some 'embarrassing moment ( or memorable ) gigs' - here's one;

14 years ago - Promise Keepers Convention ( Christian men's gathering) - approx 3,000 in the convention and a 10 pce praise band was playing the 3 day event. I was the bassman.

I was elevated at the back of a large stage.
First opening song goes down well, we pause for one of the speakers to open the convention . There's this TV camera guy making his way slowly around each muso with his cableman trailing behind.

I was going to be last on his call.
Sound tech is busy taping down leads with black "gaffer tape" pulling out about a foot length and biting off with his teeth. Several leads around me were annoying so I decide to do the same.

With bass in hand I pulled out two feet of tape, bit with my teeth as I pushed the tape roll and end in front of be to create tension. Because of a disease I had as a youngster, all my teeth were replaced with full dentures top and bottom. YOU GUESSED IT - the sticky tape gripped my teeth, shot them out at a hundred miles an hour, missing the back of the drummer's head by the hair of a gnat's bottom and richoceted off one of my bass extension cabs about 10 feet away and off the back of the stage onto a concrete floor.

The next song was about to start. Knowing it wouldn't do to have a gummy smile for the cameraman, I quickly doffed my bass, scrambled over the back of the stage, found my teeth and with no time to find a washbasin to clean them, popped them back in after a quick wipe - much to the dismay of several onlookers.

Back up on stage, donned the bass just in time for my first note, and the second keyboardist missed his queue as he was splitting his sides laughing - the only muso who had seen what happened - the drummer was oblivious to his near death by flying teeth.

The TV guy never got a smile from me, I had my mouth firmly clammed shut so the grit on my teeth wouldn't show! And not a soul mentioned the incident to me afterwards, either they were so concentrated on that speaker and didn't see it or they forgave my misdemeanour - which is what you'd expect from a Christian men's convention. :mrgreen:

Mo
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:06 pm

LMAO.