Insurance

Anything not specifically related to Bass
Cory
Bronze Member

Insurance

Post by Cory » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:43 am

I have tried to get insurance on my amp and guitars but my insurance company AMI have told me that they would refuse to cover any instruments that would be used in bars. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is there a company that will insure them?

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:54 pm

good topic Cory

My house insurance is with nzi and my gear is covered up to $5000 each item under that. When it's in my car I think there is some level of insurance but haven't checked that out. But if it's not at any of those places then I don't think any company I know of will insure it.

Maybe someone out there has found a company that will? Might be high charges.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:08 pm

State used to, but I think that's well in the past now. I believe the best insurance is the one I adopt. Never leave your gear out of your sight...

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks for your help guys.

It was brought up by AMI that if it was stolen from my vehicle there would be cover, so long as I wasn't gigging at the time. I don't understand how it is any safer in a car where I can't keep an eye on it, than right in front of me on a stage where I can.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:23 pm

As far as I know, no-one will insure instruments that will be used in live gigs, its just too much risk for them (although I've never had anything happen at a gig....but some insurance would be nice).

I've got a mate working at State, and he is a musician himself, but said that they wouldn't insure instruments for working muso's.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm

A friend of mine had full cover on his drums (worth 7k maybe), which included everything, playing in bars, touring, in cars ect. He got it about 5 years ago.

Pretty sure it was with NZI, but when I rang to ask about getting it for me they said they don't offer it.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:29 pm

well more than a few different stories here.

My coverage for H&C "goods" includes my Basses/Rig/Accessories whilst I'm out doing it. I know I pay for this, but it's virtually nothing and defineatly includes Gig Coverage but not cars... which is pretty much the opposite of what Cory said from AMI

odd eh?

we do have multiple policys... I'm wondering If I drove a bargain to get this.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:55 pm

as "Bee" Brian Blair and his tag team partner "Jumpin'" Jim Brunzell used to say "Mass Confusion prevails".

the Managing Director has returned home and sadly, has not only admonished me for not knowing the details of said policy , but also
NOT KNOWING WHERE I HAVE PUT IT

Valentines Day special.

I'll post later in the week when house is in order.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm covered anywhere in NZ
does include vehicles.

Not include deliberate damage. Thats guilty party's insurers problem, or as likely the Ministry of Justice, Fines Dept

Ring State if this sounds like a good deal.

Harry Champion

Re: Insurance

Post by Harry Champion » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:50 am

My friend has "Musicians Career Insurance" that she got through brokers - Longman & someone or other. It was something like $34/mth and covers in-car stuff and music-related things up to $30,000. Pretty cool

Cory
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by Cory » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:53 am

foal30 wrote:well more than a few different stories here.
I have just spent the weekend moving into a new house this weekend, so out of curiosity I decide to try my luck with AMI again whilst sorting out H&C. Same reply nothing new.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:37 pm

That is very annoying.
I assume you have a number of policies with AMI so it is not as easy as saying I will go elsewhere.

Maybe a long shot Corey, but you might like to try saying that State covers performance "Outside OF Deliberate Damage".
this might interest them?

the SFWU has incorporated Musicians Union. give them a yell.
Service and Food Workers Union. Someone there will be at least able to give pricing and terms of coverage.

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:49 am

Harry Champion wrote:My friend has "Musicians Career Insurance" that she got through brokers - Longman & someone or other. It was something like $34/mth and covers in-car stuff and music-related things up to $30,000. Pretty cool
Can you elaborate on that?

I can't find any Longman. But that sounds like a good deal.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Bumping for Basshead56
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:19 pm

In my experience it is not covered under normal household insurance if you are a working musician i.e if you gig for pay, even occasionally. I have my gear insured under a separate business insurance cover through State - costs me about $600 a year for a 20k cover anywhere and I don't have to specify separate items. There are possibly better deals around but this one works for my peace of mind.
Many years ago I had an amp stolen at a gig (hard way to be reminded of basic lesson - load your own gear :oops: ). I thought I had it insured with the company through my household insurance, can't remember which company it was, and they disputed liability. You can understand their logic - just as a carpenter or engineer insures his tools of trade, so can a muso. It is tax deductible but the sad irony is their assumption that just because you get paid for a gig as a muso you are actually making an overall profit :mrgreen: