Dan

Man, Chch Rocks!!

Post by Dan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:31 am

Hope you guys are all ok down there!

john
Gold Member

Re: Man, Chch Rocks!!

Post by john » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:07 am

Me too. It was felt up here in Wellington.

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 am

We felt it down in Dunedin too, so can't imagine how bad it felt in Christchurch. Hope you all OK and that the damage isn't too bad

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:31 am

Lucky it was at 430 in the morning when most are in bed.
If it had have been during the day with people out and about, I imagine there would be quite a few casualties

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Man, that was scary as.
Power on back now. Thank goodness it was at 4:30am, not pm

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Well, I asked the War Office first thing this morning if she felt the earth move for her...too early in the morning and too far away apparently. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, hope our Canterbury members are all ok, their families and friends are well and there's minimal property damage and disruption for them.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:45 pm

it was certainly a proper earthquake.

wife, kids and basses all accounted for.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Good to hear

jazz1234
Bronze Member

Post by jazz1234 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Pretty much unscathed at my place. Few ornaments bust and a bit of cracking in the plaster. Kittycat ran away and didn't turn up till 6pm :( Basswise ok, GK rig fell over in the garage though ... 210 cab and amp (700RBII in rack case) toppled over and put a hole in the wall, kncked over two bikes which in turn gouged the side of my car :x I've yet to fire the amp back up, but knowing GK gear I'll turn it on and it'll start laughing at me ... "is that the best you can do ... !" 8)

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:35 pm

Poor kitty and car! And lol about the GK.
Hit me up if you need a plasterer :mrgreen:

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 am

jazz1234 wrote: Kittycat ran away and didn't turn up till 6pm
It's bizarre how animals act in such circumstances.

They sort of sense these things before they happen. and react accordingly...according to animal instinct...

Apparently before the Edgecumbe earthquake, the cows in the fields started acting weird hours before the quake.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:48 am

I was woken up by it in Dunedin too and I knew it was going to be worse somewhere else because Dunedin isn't on a fault line. I thought at first it might be centred on South Westland where my gf is but no, she was fine. Then I checked with my folks in Chch and they told me they were clearing up !

Luckily they escaped almost without incident and didn't even experience power cuts. The only minor damage was a ladder falling off the wall and hitting one of the cars and the temporary fish pond split spilling 1250 litres of water across the garden. Apart from that it was just stuff falling off shelves.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:57 pm

It was pretty nuts alright. The way the house was violently jerking around, I thought the house would have had some serious damage, but we were very lucky, only one broken glass. I thought it was a hurricane at first because of the amount of noise. Damage around our area is quite haphazard. Some streets look untouched while others have huge cracks in them and water coming up through the ground.

The response from the utility services has been nothing less than amazing. I thought we would be without power and water for a couple of days at least, but both were restored before 3pm on Saturday in our area. I was also impressed with how quickly local supermarkets and service stations were back in action after power was restored. I think everybody just wants to try and get things back to normal as quickly as possible.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:24 pm

It's amazing nobody was killed alright. It'll be Welly's turn for a big one next.
Glad to hear everyones ok!
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Man it is still crazy down there. Thinking of you chch folk.
Have you guys seen this
http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/