Anyone heard of an Auckland Band King Snake?

Anything not specifically related to Bass
john
Gold Member

Re: Anyone heard of an Auckland Band King Snake?

Post by john » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:25 pm

That's great Harley. Nothing like being in a band you enjoy

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:58 pm

not much to contribute, just want first post of the year
thanks,
foal.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:06 am

Well, things have gone from bad to worse and KingSnake.s demise is imminent as far as I am concerned.

The morning after a very successful wine and food gigi inTakapuna in Feb, the guitarist and the drummer pulled a stunt by saying they were leaving, the guitarist to join a three piece 'power trio' and the drummer to tour the world with Billy TK. Well that was their excuses anyway. In truth they'd both been practicing with another bass player for months and this was the 'power trio. The bass player happened to be the sound man at a couple of our events. That was a pretty low trick I thought.

Since then we've been struggling to get a reliable drummer and guitarist and get -re-focuesd. We had to turn down two gigs because we weren't ready ...ggrrrr!

The keyboardist is a great guy and was the only reason I was hanging on to try and make this work.

Well, he is only here on a work Visa, has suffered redundancy and now his only option is to take work in Qatar!!!

So THE one guy I really liked and respected musically, is leaving the country.

And to make matters worse, the drummer we finally did find was awesome ( and happened to be a son of a girfriend I had many years ago back in my teens ) BUT he's now headin up to the Islands for a few months as he's part of the Army Territorials !!!

Time to shake the dust off my sandals and head to the next town - ie, find another band. OH...and I must change my underarm to Lynx, that might help :mrgreen:

At 62 years old this finding bands stuff gets tiring really.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:25 am

Bummer. Sucks when that happens, sorry to hear it and good luck

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Met dave the keyboard player at the blues jam back in feb, he can definitely play! Had good time and he jumped on my mates korg sv1 that he hauled down

So the drummer faked going on an overseas tour? That is odd

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 am

potatoes wrote:So the drummer faked going on an overseas tour? That is odd
The first one did. How he ever thought we'd never find out the truth is beyond me.

Dave ( keys ) is indeed a nice guy and one of the best keys players I have had the pleasure of playing alongside in my 42 years of bass playing.

The last drummer is genuine and it's much the pity he's going overseas because he is really good.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 am

sorry to hear it turned to *BANNED*

hope the next thing works out.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:35 pm

a player of your calibre !... you will be snapped up harley ,bass players are a rare breed,lynx or no lynx .... age brings wisdom ! a rarity in itself. 8)

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear that mate, but to be perfectly honest - not totally unexpected was it?
The "touring" drummer is certainly a unique character but Justin is a great dude and I have played a few with him myself.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:53 pm

BluesBass wrote:Sorry to hear that mate, but to be perfectly honest - not totally unexpected was it?
Perhaps I was naive, but no I did not expect the February coup. That came completely from left field.

in my defense, I had only known these guys 9 weeks and in that time we'd done heaps of gigs and practices and we were going from strength to strength. Plus I had not immersed myself into the R&B scene for many years prior so all the political buzz ( and possible signals ) went way above my head.

I've had a chat with 'the leader' who wants me to think about keeping the group alive and getting new talent, but replacing keys ( especially Dave ) and a drummer like Justin....hard yakka! That's why I think I'm better off free-lancing or getting into another established band.

Anyhow, I have a pile of cabs to build at the moment so that will keep my off the streets for a few weeks. Perhaps I should show my face at the Blues Club GTG next meeting....

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:21 pm

You certainly should... Lots of contacts to be made there.
And, bring a cab or two with you :-)

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Bands are a strange thing.... I've found they either fall apart really quick or last for years.
Justin's a great drummer but is often busy.
Are you playing on Sunday with King Snake @ the Akl Blues Club Mid-winter party @ The riverhead Harley?
I would of been playing too with black dog but the mrs double booked so I'm baby sitting.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 pm

beagle wrote:Bands are a strange thing.... I've found they either fall apart really quick or last for years.
Justin's a great drummer but is often busy.
Are you playing on Sunday with King Snake @ the Akl Blues Club Mid-winter party @ The riverhead Harley?
I would of been playing too with black dog but the mrs double booked so I'm baby sitting.
Busy working I'm afraid. Would have been nice to turn up and have a last gig with Dave, but the bread has to go on the table :mrgreen:

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 10, 2014 10:31 am

Is King Snake still going?
I'd been meaning to go along to one of their gigs. Sorry to hear it went a bit pear shaped. I know Dave Seares from having worked with him at SKM. But then he "left" and I never got a chance to catch up and see where he is at.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sat May 10, 2014 8:49 pm

King Snake's in deep hibernation!

However, Dave Seares is coming back to Auckland in July ( I think ) with his girlfriend ( who is a NZ citizen ) for a brief visit. It has been discussed that Kingsnake may do one or two gigs, but that's purely conjecture at this stage.

In a year's time, Kingsnake may re-appear if Dave comes back to NZ permanently.