Weird song requests

Anything not specifically related to Bass
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Weird song requests

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:33 pm

As most of you know I play in a covers band and we do weddings, functions, events...etc... playing everything from The Beatles to Katy Perry.

At a wedding we did 2 weeks ago, a lady kept on coming up and asking for 'Disney' tunes.... WTF?? She was probably in her late 20's too!

in a previous band in Chch, someone came up and asked if we could play YMCA - drummer looked at the lady and said "Do we look like the Village people to you"?

I've had requests for Slipknot (this was at a wedding!) ABBA (I was an all male band at the time) and Glen Campbell - Whitchita lineman (excuse my spelling)

There are some people who think because you are in a covers band that you know every song ever written - and they get quite annoyed when you tell them you don't know the song they have requested!!

what are other peoples experiences??
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Harley
Gold Member

Re: Weird song requests

Post by Harley » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:24 am

One band I was in, the leader introduced the band after the second song and always said, "We do requests, just write the name of the song on the back of a $50.00 note, bring it up to us and we'll do our best" :mrgreen:

A bit corny I admit, but it got the message through.

Just have a list of all the songs you do handy for people when they come up and ask them to pick one out of it.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:08 am

In my bluegrass band (banjo, mandolin, flat-top guitar, double bass) we get requests all the time for songs that are totally irrelevant to us, like Abba, Led Zeppelin, One Direction..... WTF???
In my rockabilly band we used to get requests for rap and reggae songs......
I've been in bands in the past that did the $50 thing, and we got a few over the years!

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:21 am

martyforrer wrote:I've been in bands in the past that did the $50 thing, and we got a few over the years!
Great idea... will have to give it a go!
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 am

martyforrer wrote:I've been in bands in the past that did the $50 thing, and we got a few over the years!
Great idea... will have to give it a go!

Quite a few musos are carrying around the ipads these days and can quickly get the lyrics and chords for songs so it's much easier to do. The only problem is if you attempt the song and it doesn't go well then you've only served to lower the band's mojo in the effort to please a very small amount of punters.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:21 pm

We never did the $50 thing... Tried $20 and got no luck....

had requests last weekend for Disney tunes... WTF?!?! and this was from a lady in her late 20's and she said "but aren't you paid to learn these songs"?
I'd need to be paid quite a lot if I was to succumb to playing Disney Tunes!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:06 pm

I can relate to this very well,one day I should attempt a book or at least start making notes while the brain still functions.

On Sat night we got asked for Charlie Pride....hey I'm not knocking Charlie but really !!!!!
He was quite disappointed to find out we did no Charlie numbers....and yet I can truly say his name has never come up when choosing new songs to learn in 20 years !

Same gig,second song,some donut got a backward drunken stagger going and headed in my direction,jeeze here we go !....gather it up you donut !....but no,no,no..back first straight into my monitor and knocked that straight onto my pedal board......well bloody done !
Gear troubles ensued for the next 20 mins until I finally sorted it,was no laughing matter I was f####### shitty !! lol :lol: