Lighting

Anything not specifically related to Bass
ryla
Gold Member

Lighting

Post by ryla » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Whats your lighting rig?
We have 2 T-bars with 3 or 4 par cans on each, usually each side of the stage as far to the front as I can manage without a drunk running into them. I operate them with an 8 socket multi-box. We have 1 LED color change par can set to " slow change" (although this is too fast for my taste) as each par 56 bulb blows we will decommission the can and replace with the LED type as its much lighter, not as hot and much lighter (weight-wise). Pet hate? - playing marquees as the roof is too low and lights in your face at eye level is not tolerated, especially by sensitive guitar players - hows yours?

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Re: Lighting

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Non exisitent! I have thought about the idea of having our own setup, but more things get the attention first. Have played a few places where there was no lighting at all, just house lights that we got turned down/off for some circuits. Definitely helps with the atmosphere of the night with lighting.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:36 pm

We use 2 vertical stands with 3 led Par style lights on each (and yes low roof marquees are also a pet hate),plus a stand mounted oblong style led rear of stage.
We used to also have 2 strip style leds mounted on the speaker poles, but no longer use them for some reason I cant remember.
I normally set up our lights if it's a set up before play gig as my gear takes the least time to prepare.
All are fed via cannon leads to each other and onto to a mixer our drummer operates very very well,plus we use a smoke machine wherever possible.

Led's are so great compared to the old PAR 56 units we had for years which were fragile,cost a bomb in replacing blown bulbs as mentioned and worked well as a heater on a hot summers night !
with the led set up most cool colours are available at the push of a button,flash,static,choose which lights you want on or off,brightness and pretty darn robust.Ours have seen years of use.

make the effort to put up a backdrop (ours is just black) put on a good light show and use smoke/fog machine as it's really impressive stuff from a clients point of view and maybe a factor in keeping the bookings rolling in as well. :D

Fyrbyrd
Bronze Member

Post by Fyrbyrd » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:48 pm

I have just got a Chauvet Tri 4 Bar system which is brilliant - carry it in a guitar sized case and set up in a couple of minutes with 4 flat LED washes.
Also have 3 standard LED parcans on a stand, and and a light with2 moons and a led strip combined. Got a cheap DMX controller off trademe, and now need to programme this to control the lot.

LED technology has changed, with 3 watt tri LEDs seeming to be the thing now - much brighter

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 am

My band have 2 x 4 lights on stands.
They are cans and they are wired into the ‘T’ that sits on the stand. We plug them into the lighting controller and plug the controller into the desk.
It’s an old system that works ok.
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle