Buying online.....

Anything not specifically related to Bass
martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Buying online.....

Post by martyforrer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:20 am

An on-air comment by a morning TV presenter got me fired up. She said that all her muso friends go into a shop to try a product out, then go buy it online. Because of the business I'm in, I know that this is a widespread situation.
My question is.... where are they all gonna go when the music stores have gone bankrupt from lack of support? Are they gonna just buy based on internet reviews? Several small music shops have gone under in the last year, and I know of at least two that are about to, and another three or four that are marginal.
I know of one shop that flatly refuses to do work on trade me purchased used guitars. Good for them.
Another point is that buying a product from overseas means there is likely no warranty support for it in NZ. We refuse to repair Dunlop or MXR products that we know have been bought overseas. Why should we? We support the NZ music retail industry.
This situation obviously does not apply to product not available here, such as the recent purchases of Sadowsky and Dingwall basses, or my own purchase of TI Jazz Flats and an Aguilar pickup.
I know I'm not about to change the world in this regard, just throwing it out there for discussion. A friend of mine recently said adapt or perish, and I see his point, but when a retailer has to have several hundred thousand dollars tied up in stock so that online purchasers have the luxury of being able to try out the product before they go buy online ..............

T-Dub
Gold Member

Re: Buying online.....

Post by T-Dub » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:05 pm

I think that within reason, most of us would rather buy off the local guy than the overseas retailer BUT the price difference is often too substantial to be altruistic about it very often. The local guys are having to pay for shipping, gst, make a margin but yet don't get the discounts that bulk ordering would get you and that sucks, but when the difference between the US shipped price and the local price is $100+ dollars then you'd be a nobel fool to buy locally. For instance, RS has the Fuzz Face Mini's listed as $279 NZ but everywhere online they're $99 US. I feel someone is taking the piss with that kind of carry on.

My taste in pedals and such is generally off the beaten track so I'm used to having to buy before I try, but if I try a pedal in-store I have often committed myself mentally to buying it here. I figure I've taken someone's time and used their stock so I'd feel very uncomfortable ordering online if I've ended up liking it.

However, instrument-wise I tend to buy local as the savings are negligible and I can try them out before buying.

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:45 pm

This is happening even in the US. Lots of local shops are being forced to close because online retailers can offer stuff so much cheaper. And that's everything, not just music gear. For instance, in the US you can get "Amazon Prime" for around $70 per year. That gives you free 2 day shipping on any "prime" item still at the usually a lot cheaper Amazon price.

And it's because the online guys don't have the overhead with just some big warehouse along with the big discounts due to the volumes they buy.

"Adapt or perish" is, unfortunately, a rather inconvenient truth. Not just here in NZ, but everywhere. The world of retail is changing, maybe not for the better, but changing it is. I can't say I like it, I've always tried to support the local guys, but as mentioned previously, when you can get it for half price or less via mail order, it's hard to justify staying local. Especially when you consider that most people's income isn't going up very quickly, especially with jobs moving overseas to places where labor is far cheaper.

So, I suppose "adapt or perish" applies to far more than where and how we buy things. More and more it applies to how we ourselves are going to survive...

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Retail is a powerful indicator of the effects of globalisation, or more accurately the freedom given to capital in the last 25 years which was never afforded to labour.

TBH what I miss of the shops was the community. :(
The bands, the gossip, the trades, the excitement of new stock arriving (who remembers their first encounter with a Steinberger?), the general vibe that somehow In someway you were a small part of a large scene.

Ah, the good old days :)

Don't start me on Manufacturing
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:55 pm

Almost all my gear I get from my local. Definitely all my bigger ticket items. I know the manager at my local rs just from going in there so much, having a yarn and trying gear. I've bought strings and cables online, but that's about it I think? However you just can't beat that one on one service. No computer or webstore is going to give me that.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:39 am

Yep, service is one place where the local guys will definitely have an advantage. Now, if they can just figure out how to deal with the overhead/pricing differences and be able to stay in business...

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:39 pm

martyforrer wrote:adapt or perish

nail on the head..

the option of being able to try a few basses in a local small town store before you buy will vanish along with the store before too long..

this will be replaced with mega online stores (giving you a standard 7 to 14 day return period) offering better than retail prices..

it's already happening on a large scale but will eventually become the "norm" and may become the only way to shop for certain products unless you want to travel to the nearest city.

people are way too lazy in our modern techno society and would sooner shop from the couch while stuffing down delivered takeaways than actually have to go to a store to buy anything as pretty well everything can be delivered to your door these days.....

wholesalers and manufacturers will eventually become the online retailers....

adapt or perish

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:58 pm

pins wrote:
martyforrer wrote:adapt or perish

nail on the head..

the option of being able to try a few basses in a local small town store before you buy will vanish along with the store before too long..

this will be replaced with mega online stores (giving you a standard 7 to 14 day return period) offering better than retail prices..

it's already happening on a large scale but will eventually become the "norm" and may become the only way to shop for certain products unless you want to travel to the nearest city.

people are way too lazy in our modern techno society and would sooner shop from the couch while stuffing down delivered takeaways than actually have to go to a store to buy anything as pretty well everything can be delivered to your door these days.....

wholesalers and manufacturers will eventually become the online retailers....

adapt or perish

You are so right mate ,
Bring on Free shipping !!