Bass elections

Anything not specifically related to Bass
manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Bass elections

Post by manofthematch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:16 am

So we're voting in 3 weeks. Which political party is going to be most conducive for the NZ music scene (or anyone who is an artist of any creative type)? ... or are politics and creative artists not related at all?
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Re: Bass elections

Post by Fenderfan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:34 pm

To be honest, I haven't thought about political party + nz music scene effects..... But I am glad that we don't have popular musicians/actors promoting various parties like they do in the states. Leave it up to the individual to decide, don't need a Ted Nugent or Bono or who ever to try and sway me. For me, it kind of deflates my opinion of said 'celebrities'. For example Robyn Malcolm and Lucy Lawless. Totally respect them as actresses, but stick to your day job ladies, the whole Greenpeace protests etc just cheapens your image.
As I said, purely my opinion!
Vent over.
Tim.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Capitalism isn't particularly conducive to any branch of "The Arts". As we will end up with with a government whose major party is in effect actually the same as the opposition the most change or results will be with a minor party that makes a ruling coalition.

Of those options who has actually provided a concise creative arts program/policy? Even if they are organised what platform do they have to air/broadcast their plans?

Simply put the creative arts isn't even a footnote, it appears to be unworthy of wider discussion. Worse still the value of the arts includes things which are economically incalculable. This places it outside the dominant train of thought, where bean counters know the cost of everything and the value of Sweet FA.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:18 pm

On a more positive note I see Judith Collins has relinquished her Ministerial portfolio's.

Not before time I'd say...

Now if Brownlee would just do the same we might finally get moving on this Chch rebuild.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Yes there is very little value placed on art in a society that is driven by commercial values. I've always thought the Japanese had it right when they would declare that some artist or artisan or great musician was a 'National Treasure'. In NZ for instance, as a taxpayer I would be happy to have some of my taxes go toward encouraging someone like Don Mcglashan to write songs.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 pm

greghr wrote:In NZ for instance, as a taxpayer I would be happy to have some of my taxes go toward encouraging someone like Don Mcglashan to write songs.

Instead we give a truckload of our taxes to a bunch of rich boys,in a rich mans game to go play silly games in expensive yachts,woopie for them :cry:

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:26 pm

Americas Cup is a good example of the Welfare State, For the Rich/By the Rich.

Re:Collins, I made the assumption her problem with SFO was South Canterbury Finance. Instead it looks like everyones favourite "investor" Dirty Hotchin.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:35 am

"Auckland... City of the have yachts and the have nots."

Yeah I'm a bit mixed about the Americas Cup too. Don't get me wrong, I love(d) seeing our boys compete against Oracle (One Rich A$$hole Called Larry Ellison) but think it's a helluva lot of money that could be used elsewhere in NZ. I thought that Australia syndicate pulled out of the next America's Cup too.

Wasn't Aunty Helen (Clarke) quite a big advocate of the arts and creative people, back in the day. I thought it was under her and Labour's reign when she brought in the Artists Benefit - basically the dole for musicians, artists and other creative professionals.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:51 am

I guess other artists like painters, sculptors etc have to apply for grants to be able to work full time. Perhaps there are, or could be, musicians grants. The nub to this idea is that often the money for grants comes from foundations, which in turn are often set up by wealthy benefactors. There arguably would not have been the Renaissance in Italy without the Medici's propping up the artists financially. What we need in this country is an artists tax whereby a proportion of every taxpayers tax intake goes to the arts, like the military, you don't have a choice but contribute. I would rather see a thriving arts scene in this country than a really well funded GCSB or SAS.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:48 pm

7 days to go of this preening that masquerades as campaigning.

Struggling to think of a worse effort than what Labour have presented.

All in all a poor reflection on the country if anyone still believes we elect or best and brightest.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:58 am

not much choice on offer as usual,monkeys or monkeys.