Indoor and outdoor NZ venues

Anything not specifically related to Bass
manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Indoor and outdoor NZ venues

Post by manofthematch » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:26 am

How bout a thread on live music venues in NZ which you've been to and can recommend. They can have great sound, great vibe, or a sweet bar set up... or maybe it's the fact that it has a good live scene with many bands playing there.

It can be indoor or outdoor, temporary or permanent, large or small, rural or urban based... heck even a marquee on your mates farm counts. Maybe we might draw the line at "my bedroom is the awesomest live music place" but some people have wicked balconies and verandas so they can make the cut. :)

I'm interested in what venues and places people mention. Here's my list:
Northland = Leigh Sawmill (in Leigh), Music Mountain (Matakana)
Auckland = Powerstation, the Town Hall & St James (I hope this venue gets restored)
Tauranga = Crystal Palace (I think it's a temporary venue used for festivals)
Gisborne = Waiohika Estate (where Rhythm & Vines is held)
Taranaki = Pukekura Park
Wellington = Frontroom & Town Hall
Nelson = indoor venue at Founders Park
Canterbury = Dux Live (I miss the old Dux but the new one is good too), Horncastle Arena (name change from WestPac Trust)
Central Otago = Loco Cantina (Queenstown), Cardrona Resort (where Rhythm & Alps is now held)
Dunedin = Sammys

Places and venues I'd like to check out for a gig are:
* Sound Shell (on Marine Parade in Napier)
* King Street Live (a new venue in Masterton being headed up by Warren Maxwell, of Trinity Roots fame)
* Moon (a new venue that was mentioned in NZ Musician magazine... I understand it is in Newtown, Wellington)
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Indoor and outdoor NZ venues

Post by foal30 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Wunderbar - Lyttleton

Soho - Lichfield St Chch (missed)
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Cabana - Napier. Legendary venue with full PA and sound guy. Roy goes out of his way to make things easy for you. Been playing there for the last thirty odd years.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:10 pm

The Soundshell in Napier is pretty cool too. I've played to 2000 punters on more than one occasion. Thumbs-up for the Cabana too. Another Napier venue that hosts touring bands is the Sideline Bar.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:26 pm

My old covers band in Chch used to play at the 'Railway Hotel' in Greymouth fairly regularly, they used to feed us and put us up for the night.... the place was huge and we always had a good sound there.

In Akld the 'Kentish Hotel' in Waiuku has a good sound, my band plays there every now and then

worst venue in Auckland for concerts is the Logan Campbell centre.... saw Nirvana, Green Day & Oasis there and sound was crap! - the Super top at Mt Smart wasn't much better - saw KISS and Pearl Jam there and sound was average at best...
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 am

The Tin Hut in Featherston and King Street Live in Masterton are good venues too.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Cabana is a very cool place to gig agree, but wouldn't be a favourite acoustically for me personally.

where do I start after playing nearly every indoor/outdoor venue HB has to offer ? I would have more chance trying to list places that are crap :lol:

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Foal - does Wunderbar draw the big numbers? I've seen the venue from the outside and it made me think "are most of the punters who go there from Lyttleton or can you draw a big crowd from Chch?"
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:12 pm

I haven't played there since the big Earthquake.

Bands I've played in have sold out the place but also I remember one night I think there was 5 punters:)

A lot of the crowd come over from Chch but there is an original art scene in Lyttleton so worth looking at if your touring this way.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Kings Arms in Auckland - intimate venues are best. Or... Any venue that pays well, has free food and drink, and is just around the corner from my place.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:23 am

Best and worst from my old touring days of long ago: worst was a now demolished old pub in Dannevirke where the band accommodation was so trashed you could see through the walls and the toilet was literally a hole in the floor as someone had smashed it to pieces and the owners did not think it was worth fixing since the place was down for demolition anyway. One of the best was (and still is) Schnapps at Mount Ruapehu - great hosts, all night partying and nearly had to have my stomach pumped on the way home after one gig there as they are not called Schnapps for nothing. Absolutely legendary selection of schnappes. A blast to play during the ski season but don't expect to get any sleep.
I could list plenty of others up and down the country but (showing my age) many of them are now closed. Who can remember TudorTowers night club in Rotorua for example?

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:24 pm

my first ever gig was at the 'battle of the bands' at the Gluepot in Ponsonby... I had no idea what a PA really was and only had a small rockit combo, but the sound man asked me to turn my amp up more and more... we did the gig and failed miserably
next gig was another battle of the bands at the Mon Desire Hotel in Takapuna (both venues have been demolished for years now!)
plugged my bass amp in and had blown the speaker from the gluepot gig the week before!
I think I ended up playing throuigh a DI box straight to the desk.... we got someone in the video tape the gig... that was 1990?

my biggest memory was walking into the Gluepot and a band had set up on stage with a 'metallica' looking drum kit with 2 kick drums, 4 mounted toms and cymbals for africa... our drummer took one look and said "I not playing on that"! Luckily he didn't have to....
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Ha that reminds me of a wedding we played at the Mission here in Napier a while back. I had my brand new Genz 4x10 Uber cab and my Sunn 1200s head set up,totally overkill in that place,but who cares.
This dude came up before we started and said "Man,I love your rig and can't wait to hear it " guess what ? plugged in as we are about to start (no soundcheck) and No Sound !!
It all worked the night before no worries.
The amp had bown a gasket overnight somehow and I ended up using a bloody vocal monitor for 3 hours of pain.
Worst gig ever, and that dude must have thought what a bloody crappy rig and even crappier player to boot ! :lol:

DubnBass
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: One Waka

Post by DubnBass » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 pm

I second Pukekura Park Tim!

Haven't ventured around the country too much, but for me (From North to South):
New Plymouth - Hatchery Lawn (Pukekura Park)
Takaka (Golden Bay) - Roots Bar
Kaikoura - Summersounds (Festival set in a natural amphitheatre looking out to sea)
Christchurch - Dux Live
Akaroa (Banks Peninsula) - The Stables

Hoping to play at "The Boathouse" in Nelson soon!
Anyone had experience at this venue? Many punters?
Fender USA Deluxe Jazz V
Squier CV 60's Precision
GK Fusion 550
Mesa Powerhouse Traditional 6x10