Do your kids play?

Anything not specifically related to Bass
john
Gold Member

Re: Do your kids play?

Post by john » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:59 pm

foal that is so funny im still giggling as i write this, i think i asked myself those same questions in the mid 80s.
the question i ask now is why is the key board player always playing the bass parts in all madonna's songs

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:12 pm

considering she has had Victor Bailey and Darryl Jones on call it is a crying shame.
either of them could have ripped into "Justify my Love".

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:45 pm

lol :lol:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Shaeve

Post by Shaeve » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:43 pm

My kids are mad to play 7 and 9 but my basses are too big, Have been looking for a shortscale for a while but no luck so far. Dont want to fork out a wad on somthing that potentially even with all of the interest may be a flsh in the pan.

The 7 year old likes to play on the bongos, much to his mothers joy.

Its a noise thing!

Regards

A
Two balls are better than one - Steinberger Me!

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Yeah they sure love making noise alright
p.s. Love yr signature Shaeve :lol:
Welcome to the site :)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:53 am

Steinberger
Yes

the Samick 2/3 size turns up from time to time on Trade Me
you can't go wrong with this
hours of fun for the Kids
great starter gear.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:02 am

Shaeve wrote:My kids are mad to play 7 and 9 but my basses are too big
I started when I was 8, and I was very small. I had to play it really low to reach the low notes but it worked, and I have always felt more comfortable playing low ever since.

I do remember taking a while to get the hang of the space, I hit that bass into so many walls and doors, and dads head a few times....

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:34 am

i got my youngest a dick smith $25 gitar and amp and mic thingy he can pose with and to break, (its getting a hammering already) if hes still keen after that i will find a dirt cheap short scale/ kids one he can knock about and smash the peg head off with, so long as my bass is safely put away no prob.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 pm

the Samick Kids bass is on TM for only $120
I got one of these for my kids
get a bargain

No prints

Post by No prints » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi newbie to this forum. Anyway about the offspring, after a solid daily course of wiggles for a few of the early years, thier tastes changed considerably and matured (thankfully !) to a diet of decent rock (from my cd collection) and and some lighter here today gone tommorrow type of top 20 stuff that they were exposed to in the mothers 4WD on the way to school. The oldest recieved 1/2 size accoustic from father Xmas about 2 years back and mucked around with for a bit. Then one day after school she walked out with a small black case in her hand. When questioned about this she replied that she had joined the school brass band as a cornet player. That really kicked her music career off. In under 12 months she is at the front of the band as a solo cornet player and winning solo comps. She was given a new cornet to try out one day and when the younger daughter found out that ther were 2 cornets in the house, instantly want to join up as well after blowing the the thing crisp and strong enough to nearly blast out the window. The wifes aunty died down south and left her an baby grand piano, so that was the next instrument to learn. After a year and a bit of lessons they are playing nicely with a great understanding of music. Last Xmas Santa squeezed a nice little Strat copy (SX) down the chimney with a wee 15 watt amp and between tab on the net and a bit of mucking round she had the desire to get some proper lessons. So rung up a mate who happens to be a pro muso, and asked him if he would be keen. He nicknamed her "The Freak"! Natural guitarist. So thats how I ended up here. I got roped into getting a bass for home so we can all play here together. We have a jam night at my mates place on wednesday night where I have been playing bass and a bit of rythym guitar for them. So I managed to score a Epiphone ET280 off Ebay for a reasonable price (I thought). She's an ex demo 1971 model that was sitting in the back of shop for the last 36 years. So expecting that any day. Hanging! So sorry to rant on on my 1st post. Hope i will learn a bit here and be able to keep pace with the kids. Evolution aye? Cheerz, Rock On!!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:10 pm

cool story mate.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am

Yeah that's gotta be a blast for ya No prints 8)
Welcome dude

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:48 am

There's also a Squire bronco on Trademe which would be good for an inbetween age who are a little too big for the 1/2 scale but not quite ready for a full scale.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

BassPlayersMum

Post by BassPlayersMum » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:15 pm

This thread was going last year, but I have only just joined this forum. I joined it simply because I have a child that I don't know what to do with.

Here's his story.

At 4 he started gymnastics, loved it, but was frustrated because he was limited in what he could do. At 5 he started Ballet, love it and gave up gymnastics. At 9 he started doing Tap, which was where we thought his true talent lay. He did two levels to High Distinction Exam Level in six months, and has continued to get better and better each year, with a truely amazing ability to tap light and dark shades, and perfect beat. He then took up Jazz and Contemproary. (We have a dancer... right?)

I know, where is this going on a Bass forum.

He started intermediate school this year (11 yrs). We wanted him to take up drums (natural for a gifted tap dancer) but the drums class was full although he did prove himself to have a natural talent for this, so he took up Bass. He is in year 7 and was put in the year 7 band at school. He has now been put in the year 8 band as their main Bass player for Battle of the Bands later this year. (He is still dancing as well).

My question is, where can a child who has so much talent with the Bass (he is told by all his teachers how talented he is) get exposure to a Bass player that could mentor him? We have just bought him his first Bass guitar as he practices this more than is dancing (but is still excelling at dance).

We are in the Wellington region (Hutt Valley). We are not looking for a Bass teacher (he is happy with the one he has), we are looking for a Bass player that would be willing to have him come along to band practices or jam sessions occasionally to have fun and learn. In Waikato there is a Youth Music Association for children, is there something similar in Wellington?

Thanks for your help
BassPlayersMum

(as a side note, he has always, from a very young age, loved patterns, shapes, and is a year ahead of his age in maths)

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:34 pm

BassPlayersMum wrote: We are in the Wellington region (Hutt Valley). We are not looking for a Bass teacher (he is happy with the one he has), we are looking for a Bass player that would be willing to have him come along to band practices or jam sessions occasionally to have fun and learn. In Waikato there is a Youth Music Association for children, is there something similar in Wellington?

Thanks for your help
BassPlayersMum

(as a side note, he has always, from a very young age, loved patterns, shapes, and is a year ahead of his age in maths)
Welcome to the site
Great to hear your are encouraging him
I am not aware of any Youth Music Association for children, type place in wellington.
I think if he found some people to form a band with ,other then the school band, he would learn more then sitting in on another band practice.
every body is different so every bands practices are different and do things in different ways . All depends on the groups dynamic.
The maths/patterns side him will help a lot with his bass playing.