Do your kids play?

Anything not specifically related to Bass
MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/meshuggahN8, www.myspace.com/madmaxband
Bands / Groups: 4:20 then Mad Max now NoneTheLess & Doublewide.

Re: Do your kids play?

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:36 pm

He's 1 and a half and he's already better than me.

Peavey stack, Firebass / Deltabass, 410TvX, 115BvX, random Zoom effects (beer soaked Nobels ODR-B live), Modded natural finish Yamaha RBX-270 (changed to active, seymour duncan P/J basslines, gotoh hardware and bridge.) http://www.myspace.com/meshuggahn8

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:51 pm

cute!

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:49 pm

HaHa thanks, yeah he is, he's got his mums genes thank god! His names Ashton, (named after my first bass!). He's guna hate me later in life for naming him after a cheap chinese made guitar... but hey I wasn't guna call him "Fender American Deluxe precision bass", mind you that would be better than some of the names that are floating around at the moment! I.e: "Bus stop #18", "Fish & Chips" for twins etc...might as well call your child "Bullseye" or "Target" coz with a name like that you just guna get stuff thrown at you. :roll:
Peavey stack, Firebass / Deltabass, 410TvX, 115BvX, random Zoom effects (beer soaked Nobels ODR-B live), Modded natural finish Yamaha RBX-270 (changed to active, seymour duncan P/J basslines, gotoh hardware and bridge.) http://www.myspace.com/meshuggahn8

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Ashton is good. prolly get shortened to Ash.
Funny about the other names. When you said bullseye it made me laugh , remeber that cheap beer they used to make called bullseye! Image
bet a few kids got conceived on that ,hopefully not named after too

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Haha mint "chucking" smily! Bullseye beer you say? hmm doesn't ring a bell, but our band wrote an album on (and named a song after) "viking beer" twas the mills finest / cheapest beer.....

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Was the slogan on that one " conquer the taste" ? :lol:

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 pm

You know it! I did more than conquer taste with a case of those bad boys. Although the morning after ususally proved that I lost....

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:36 pm

So it should have been
"conquer the taste ....

...be defeated by the hangover

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:35 pm

john wrote:So it should have been
"conquer the taste ....

...be defeated by the hangover

You got it. :lol:

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:26 am

My daughter (12) plays electric guitar and studies it when she can, my son (10) also has a guitar and he has a natural flair for extracting sounds from it, but won't spend time on it, I think he might get into drumming when he is older though.

When I was growing up I had a music teacher who was so scary I steered clear of music for a long time. Bass is my instrument - I am not great at it but I get by, I hope my children keep experimenting with musicand find their own thing with time.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Do your kids get to see you play in bands / gigs much? I think it helps kids if they can see / experience the rewards of getting into music to know why the hard yards are necessary.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:07 am

I find i get more reward from nailing a song or passage as a band at practice , then playing live.
But I know what you mean

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:50 am

For 7 years I was in a North London based band doing original music gigging and recording an album which we thought was good but never got anywhere.

We did a 21st reunion gig with loads of old friends and were amazed how all the kids who weren't even born when we were playing sang all the words to the songs.

My chidren were pretty impressed even though they have seen me play in covers bands. The kids were less impressed when the lead singer told them between that a number of them were there as a result of their parents meeting at our previous gigs!

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:30 pm

Well my daughter(7) loves music, ive given her a kiddies gat and an alright lil keyboard(full size keys, its quite cool really) But id have to say she loves sing star best... i got a lil electric drum pad thing for my boy(5)... but it wasnt very loud, so i wired in a lead so i could plug it into an amp... it was really kool, but id have to say he hasnt really got his sisters interest in music. But i do have the odd "jam" with em :lol: , its good fun. There mum is quite a good singer.

Im not going to push em on it, if they want lessons later im happy to encourage em.. but end o the day my first music lessons where earlier this year... and just theory really... she didnt touch her bass once! But it was good to confirm in my mind id sussed it right, and to learn a few more o the finner points, still plenty to learn.

In high school i was told i have no musical ability, and not to waste her(the teachers) and my time taking music :oops:

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:41 pm

That's harsh Random, but I can sympathise. I was kicked out of the choir at primary school 'cos I was singing flat :oops: I was gutted - being in the choir got me out of some subject I didn't want to do :lol:

My 11 year old has started working on his own songs. We recorded one earlier in the week (instruments only - he would get kicked out of the choir as well!). He even let me play the bass for him 8) . I'll load it up here if I can remeber how to add it.