Weird 'gig cancellation' reasons

Anything not specifically related to Bass
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Weird 'gig cancellation' reasons

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:22 am

Well I'm lucky in that in my 20 years of playing in cover bands I've had very few gigs cancelled - I can only remember about 3 of them in fact
and seeing as I'm not the one organising the gigs I don't normally get to know the entire reason why the gig was cancelled.

Anyway my band were booked to play a wedding in the Coromandel in March and they've had to cancel....
Our singer thought it was the most bizarre reason ever and even forwarded me the e-mail from the Bride.
the e-mail was pretty much exactly like this

Dear XXXX
I have just found out that the venue for our wedding reception has a 'no noise' policy
and as a result I've had to find an anternative music source
I am very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you

regards XXXX

I'm tempted to go there anyway and see what this 'alternative music source' is
My wife said that they might have got a cheaper band or a duo and that's there way of saying 'we don't need your band anymore'

anyone else got any weird gig cancellation reasons?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Re: Weird 'gig cancellation' reasons

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:55 am

In my old band, we were asked to join a couple of other acts for a gig on the shore. No probs. we had a fairly good crowd coming to see us, so wanted to put on a good show...... This ended up being a bit of a 'showcase' all about us as both the other acts pulled out. On the day. One was a close relative of Debbie Harwood, and she made sure everyone knew this too. Her reasoning for cancelling was that she got a cough and wanted to save her voice for a gig she had the following weekend. Oh yep. And the second act was a group of guys in a reggae rock band that looked really interesting and I was looking forward to seeing these guys perform. The organiser of the gig had to ring them as they were late (nope they didn't bother to say anything), and their excuse was the drummer decided to get his traditional Samoan tattoo all over his thighs and butt. So couldn't play drums. I'm sure this sort of ink isn't just a spur of the moment thing, and thought must have gone into it. Just a pity no thought was put into anything else!
Gig went pretty good none the less, we played a bunch of our originals, a bunch of covers, and an impromptu jam too. Good fun. Oh guess it was a bonus we didn't have to split door takings... :lol:
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:50 am

Wedding gigs can get cancelled if the 'couple to be' get cold feet or get seen in the office with someone else.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:49 am

ryla wrote:Wedding gigs can get cancelled if the 'couple to be' get cold feet or get seen in the office with someone else.

yeah that's true...... We just had another one cancelled too for this weekend :( Bride e-mailed our singer and said they had gone 'way over budget' and could not afford to pay for the band
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:48 pm

I hope you guys take a non refundable deposit for such things !
Plus we have actually cancelled gigs ourselves if it turns out we are dealing with a demanding bridezilla or just plain stupid people with no common sense.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:36 pm

pins wrote:I hope you guys take a non refundable deposit for such things !
Plus we have actually cancelled gigs ourselves if it turns out we are dealing with a demanding bridezilla or just plain stupid people with no common sense.
yeah we just talked about such things...... singer said in over 20yrs that only 4 gigs have been cancelled, but we agreed that for private functions like that we will start taking a deposit.

We are doing a 60th in a few weeks and the guy has seen our setlist and doesn't like over half of it!!! he wants us to play Stones, Who, Thin Lizzy, Cold Chisel, Whitesnake.... so that will be interesting as we only do 1 Stones song occasionally... LOL!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:17 am

Set lists can be another contentious issue.
We have people saying no Abba,no Rolling Stones or whatever off our set list because "they" don't like them.
What about all the other guests that may love those bands or songs !!!!!!! talk about being narrow minded......
we are trying to find another way to stop people crossing off songs from our set lists they don't like or requesting songs we don't do ,and or are not prepared to learn for 1 gig....

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm

pins wrote:Set lists can be another contentious issue.
We have people saying no Abba,no Rolling Stones or whatever off our set list because "they" don't like them.
What about all the other guests that may love those bands or songs !!!!!!! talk about being narrow minded......
we are trying to find another way to stop people crossing off songs from our set lists they don't like or requesting songs we don't do ,and or are not prepared to learn for 1 gig....

Yeah - we will only learn a 1 off song if it is a request for a first dance at a wedding. We did that a couple of years ago.... learnt some god dam awful song from Primal scream? - everybody loves somebody? Anyway all us in the band hated the song, but we learnt it, played it once and never again LOL!
Singer was getting a bit worried about the 60th and drummer said "he hired us because he saw us playing last year and liked the band" So we will just play our usual set list and I don't think there will be any problems....

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote: So we will just play our usual set list and I don't think there will be any problems....
That's just what we would do as well,if he wanted all the crap you dont do in your set he should have looked for another band,simple really.

But as we know punters expect us to know every song ever written because we are muso's ......"Yeah Right" :D

Yes and getting deposits (for private functions) for a busy working band is a must ! you may have turned down other paying gigs only to be cancelled at the last minute which is unfair on everyone and deserves compensation = deposit. Stick it in your contract.