'Fill in' Gigs

Anything not specifically related to Bass
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

'Fill in' Gigs

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 am

Just wondering how many fellow bassists do 'Fill in' Gigs?
I got a message through Facebook last week from the singer in an old band I used to play in - he also sings in another band and they needed a bass player for a Gig this Saturday just gone.
I knew about 60% of their set list (covers) and had to learn about 6 songs and we had a rehearsal on Thursday night.
The gig went well and the band were pretty pleased that I just slotted in and played the songs.....

It felt weird because they had a keyboard player and I've not played with keys for over 10 years and their drummer really hit the drums hard - he was a good drummer but very heavy! .... my ears were ringing a bit Sunday Morning.

it was lucky my existing band had a night free...
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: 'Fill in' Gigs

Post by foal30 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Only if I feel sorry for the band that needs the sub.
If you can read and someone in the band can do charts it is a lot easier.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

I love the the challenge of learning a bunch of songs quickly and excitement of doing fill in gigs.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon May 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Unfortunately I can't read charts..... but the singer sent me their set list and I highlighted the ones I could play and the ones I could learn and as it happened we didn't even play all the songs we crossed off at rehearsal.....
I just listened to the songs I needed to learn on Spotify and played along with them, so it was no drama..... now back to playing in my regular band this Saturday LOL! :lol:
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Tue May 05, 2015 8:09 am

Chart reading is a good skill... Removes the need for those pesky rehearsals

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue May 05, 2015 2:41 pm

potatoes wrote:Chart reading is a good skill... Removes the need for those pesky rehearsals
if the band plays the songs in the same key then yes.... but it would be good to learn to read charts....
there were a couple of songs where they had changed the arrangement slightly... but the gig went well

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed May 06, 2015 2:10 pm

I do fill in gigs on occasion for The Kawekas, as their normal guy is tied up with other things. Scotty, the front man has a repertoire of around 2000 songs from the 1920s through to "Royals". There are no charts, no rehearsals, often not even a key given. He will just launch into a song and you hold on for dear life. While daunting, this has given me the ability to quickly ascertain the progression of a song.
I recommend when writing charts (if you have to) to write them in Nashville numbering. That way it doesn't matter if the key is Db or Bbmin, (haha) you will not have to worry about transposing on the fly. For anyone not familiar with Nashville numbering, google it and learn it, it's very, very handy.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed May 06, 2015 2:18 pm

BTW: learning the Nashville numbering system has the benefit of getting you up to scratch with your knowledge of major and minor scales, also with progressions such as 1-6-2-5 etc. Very useful if like me, one of your bands plays jazz standards, you can play them often without need for charts, just recognising the progressions.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:33 am

Don't do fill-ins much these days, but I used to ask for a set list in advance whenever possible. I am ashamed to admit (in fact I shouldn't :oops: ) that I used to wind down the upper mids and end emphasise the low lows if I found I was floundering - lose definition, hit the one and keep smiling :D
On a marginally related note (pun intended), I did a fill-in once where after the opening set I asked the drummer how I was fitting in with the band. The drummer was astonished as he had been called in too - as had the guitarist. Turned out the singer had called us all in giving the impression he had a regular band but none of us had played together before. Gig went okay, but worth a laugh. It was quite a while ago in Napier, think his name was Tony something??? Cheeky bugger - country rock type stuff.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:52 pm

john wrote:I love the the challenge of learning a bunch of songs quickly and excitement of doing fill in gigs.
Ditto with John... so long as you have enough time to do the homework... otherwise it's exciting in a whole different type of way.
I find Spotify a godsend for quickly dragging up songs to reference against. Once the bands playlist has been created then it's always on call for next time.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz