My Latest Obsession and Reason

Anything not specifically related to Bass
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

My Latest Obsession and Reason

Post by pins » Fri May 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Sadly on the 22nd of January my older brother passed away at the age of 54 with a heart condition.
He was also the only surviving member of my birth family,aside from myself, as both my parents have also passed away. I am now an orphan.

He was a great guy, and a fantastic brother who has always been into motorbikes and rode for years with a local "club".
He was also a Lawyer which ran against the grain with lots of people due to his "bikie" background. A Husband,Father and Grandfather who is sadly missed by all.
Along time ago he lost his left leg in an accident,almost died and was left in terrible shape with other injuries but this never stopped him from riding bikes,Triumphs back in the day and then Harley's. Just had to swap the gear shift to right hand side after the accident.

He had 2 Harley's. One he bought new in 2007 and an "old" one.
I have managed to acquire the old one,a 1986 FXRS-SP 1340 cc. This is the first and only Harley I have ever owned or ridden. I had some jap road bikes back in the '80's but always had dirt bikes lying around.
Been a lot of sleeps since venturing out on a large bike,especially one that weighs almost 600 pounds.

This Harley has consumed and obsessed me since I trailered it home around early March. And I mean Obsessed !! It didn't go and had been neglected somewhat for years.
But I finally have it running and use it as a daily ride to work,and carry some of my brothers ashes in a vial on the keyring everywhere the bike goes.

Anyway " Bass " has been the last thing on my mind since the bike arrived I have to honestly admit and I spend every spare moment in the shed cleaning and polishing it. Never thought I would ever own such a bike but it's really special to me and will never sell it.

I can post up some pic's but only if any one is interested. After all this is a bass forum.

Pins.

john
Gold Member

Re: My Latest Obsession and Reason

Post by john » Fri May 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Good to hear from you pins and I'm really sorry to hear about your brother, condolences.
I'm sure it has been great therapy and quite a tribute to your brother working on the bike. I'm not really a bike person but I'm sure it's pretty so I'd to see pics :D

Are you still playing in Naked Gun?

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:48 am

Good one Pins.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sat May 09, 2015 4:58 pm

So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother...
:(

Yes, it's a bass forum, and a Harley produces a very nice bass note as far as I'm concerned. So yeah, go ahead and post some pics! Myself, I've finally managed to snag something I've always lusted after, a nice, classic BMW K75S, also from '86...

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat May 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Yeah, sorry to hear about your brother.

I had road bikes in the 80s/90s. Still wish I did on nice sunny days. Maybe it is time for another mid-life crisis :lol: Post some pics

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Sat May 09, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys,means a lot to me. :)

Here are a couple taken when we got the bike home.
The Harley Arrives..jpg
In the shed.jpg
It wouldn't start,and I don't think it had been running for quite some time. When I poured fuel in for the first time the rubber hose beneath the fuel tank just disintegrated.......that was the beginning of my mission to get it running.
I also had to find a gear lever , as mentioned my brother had it mounted on the right due to his artificial left leg .
On that note I now respect my brother immensely for the skill it must have taken to only be able to put his right leg down to support the bike when stopped... not matter what,even when carrying a pillion ! wow.

The Kawasaki in the background which I had just refitted the cylinder head after replacing a crook inlet valve was put on hold,just like the the 2 basses I was rebuilding and painting,actually everything was put on hold when the Harley arrived.

Will post up a few more and a list of what needed doing.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Sun May 10, 2015 11:35 am

Oh,John...yep still with Naked Gun. We played the Cabana on Fri night with Butt Scratch. Not too many people but we had a load of fun and finally got kicked out by the Guv around 2.30am ha ha.

Back to the Harley. These are some of the faults and issues I had to deal with. Lucky I'm a mechanic by day ( but never touched a Harley ),otherwise with labour I would have been even more broke rather quickly !
The Stator was fried and not charging the battery. Unfortunately the stator lives inside the primary cover against the engine block,so the cover,clutch and primary chain all had to be removed to replace it. Cost around $300 bucks in parts.
The voltage regulator was fried. $240
New battery $140
All the rubber oil lines were hard and brittle,so I replaced the lot. $100
Rear tyre was perished $245
At some stage the electronic ignition was replaced with points and condenser ! New ignition,coil and leads ex ebay $330
The choke flap had been removed ! Second hand carb for parts $150.
Gear shifter $80
Had no speedo cable $65
Rear disc pads stuffed, $50
Thats just some of the things I have done,some I missed out ? and there is still more yet !

More pics to follow.

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sun May 10, 2015 11:41 am

Quite a project, but it'll be cool when it's done!
8) 8) 8)

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Mon May 11, 2015 7:08 pm

I don't think it will ever be "done" cjj to be honest. As a mechanic these things are pretty "agricultural" in design, even for 1986. :)
First ride...took me an hour or so of procrastinating to venture out on a bike I knew nothing about with lots of issues.
This missus was laughing much at my mucking about. I even downed a beer at 10.30am, and a few other substances ( no, not what your thinking ;) ) then finally felt ready to hit the road...ha ha hopefully with only the tyres...off I went with no idea what to expect.

I know the helmet is not "correct" for such machines and looks quite stupid but I couldn't find my German helmet anywhere :wink:
First ever ride on a Harley.jpg
Even made it home ,
And I made it home again.jpg

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 pm

One ride and I was hooked and obsessed immediately !
But I had to tear it apart as the battery wasnt charging and this limits and decent distance rides unless I carried a "jump pack" .
Just like the first ride,I did much procrastinating over pulling it apart !
New jack I forgot to mention "kaching kaching" goes the money machine. This was a necessity with the bike weighing 595 pounds,but the best investment ever to make life easy working on it as I knew it would be back on this jack many,many times yet !
Harley on the new jack.jpg
The inspection cover on the primary case leaked like a sieve ! I can see why,jeez they must used a whole tube of sealant,but still didn't fit the "O" ring properly...ha ha
no wonder it leaked.jpg

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Here's what I found inside.... really ! "agricultural" stuff ! sorry if any Harley owners feel offended but I was surprised at the "technology '' used in 1986.
primary cover removed.jpg
Here are all the bits removed,was really hoping I remember how it all goes back together.
everything dismantled.jpg
I had to use a puller to remove the clutch hub,and this is the result,I bloody broke it ! Ripped the lug off the hub. Didn't feel so bad when I was told "it happens on those ones" .
Luckily my local engineer repaired it...."kaching kaching" $240 later....ouch !
broken clutch hub.jpg

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Mon May 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Finally here is the reason for pulling it all to bits,the Stator. And it was toasted.
the fried stator.jpg
Again much "kaching kaching" later I have the parts. I should have replaced the chain and clutch at the same time,but funds were dwindling and I just wanted it off that bloody jack.
new parts and much kaching later.jpg
Let the assembly begin,and what a stupid place to put the stator !
new stator fitted.jpg
For those that don't know about such things,the stator is fixed to the engine and a rotor with magnets inside fits over the stator.The rotation of the rotor over the stator produces AC current. Which is then converted by the voltage regulator unit into DC current and used to charge the battery. I think thats what happens anyway. As long as it works I don't really give a stuff how it does it.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Mon May 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Some more,in my haste to get it going the final snaps of the cover back on didn't happen obviously.
assemby begins.jpg
All that crap lying around seems to have found its way back in there.
almost done.jpg
Finally got the carb sorted and the new ignition arrived and promptly fitted. Now it actually starts without a dose of "start ya bastard" .
tools of the trade.jpg
Ha ha don't look too closely.... :)

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:15 pm

where is Harley?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 pm

OK, so Harley puts things in weird places, so does BMW. Like, putting the oil filter INSIDE the oil sump! :shock: :roll:
Luckily, they have a special cover on the sump to get to it, but still!!!

"Agricultural" LOL, what a great term! Reminds me of SO many things I had to deal with back when we were farming in Montana...
:lol: :lol: :lol: