Microphone to a computer

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

Microphone to a computer

Post by ZK-TUI » Thu May 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Ok,
not quite bass but still recording.
My brother is doing a college science fair project on headphones. Hence we need to use a microphone to record a sound through the headphone into audacity for a audio spectrum analysis. However the microphone (my Band's AKG D5) doesn't work through a simple 1/4" converter.
What would I need to enable the mic to be picked up by the computer to record with...?

Thanks

GrowlerBox
Bronze Member

Re: Microphone to a computer

Post by GrowlerBox » Fri May 27, 2011 8:15 am

You need a mic preamp to raise the signal output from the mic and some sort of audio interface to convert that into a digital signal usable by your computer, which are most easily obtained in a single box connected via USB or Firewire to your computer, and into which you can also plug headphones, external monitors, keyboards/MIDI, other instruments, depending on the input/output options. There are hundreds of options ranging from the very cheap to the absurdly expensive. There are also USB microphones (most often used for podcasting) which have the minimum requirements built in and plug directly into your USB port.
Christopher 401T flatback carved upright bass (Gage Realist Soundclip and Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass or fdeck HPF-Pre)
NS Design CR4M EUB
Markbass F1
TC Electronic RH450
BFM Jack 112 (a la Harley)

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri May 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Keeping in mind that using cheap stuff won't actually be giving you accurate spectrum analysis...

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri May 27, 2011 6:49 pm

you need a condenser mic to capture the level of nuance you need to look at anything in detail. that will need, in additional to a mic preamp, a preamp that can deliver 48v phantom power (to power the mic).
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

ZK-TUI
Bronze Member

Post by ZK-TUI » Fri May 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Cheers,
yeah figured that would be the problem.
I'm gonna take him and do it at uni. Better equipment and easier to do and (though I'm yet to ask) they seem quite friendly towards us doing stuff like that.

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Mon May 30, 2011 5:24 pm

believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz