Cheap Audio Interface

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
john
Gold Member

Cheap Audio Interface

Post by john » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:58 pm

I am after something to put down ideas with in Audacity. If I plug into the mic input when I try to multi track I get lag. Would something like this be all I need?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 935756.htm
I does not need to sound good, I just don't want lag,(if that is the right word)

timi
Gold Member

Re: Cheap Audio Interface

Post by timi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 am

Check your buffer settings, you might be able to get the built in mic input to have usable latency...

For $30 that interface will probably suck and due to crappy drivers it may not give you any benefit over the built in input. I'd say don't bother unless you can get an entry level M-Audio/Focusrite (or similar) interface, at a guess they start around $200.

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

Keep an eye on Trademe - I once got an M-Audio USB interface for $50.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:09 am

timi wrote:Check your buffer settings, you might be able to get the built in mic input to have usable latency...

For $30 that interface will probably suck and due to crappy drivers it may not give you any benefit over the built in input. I'd say don't bother unless you can get an entry level M-Audio/Focusrite (or similar) interface, at a guess they start around $200.
I am not sure what you mean by check my buffer settings? And I am using a lap top (pc). That would mean I wouldn't be able to get a mic input?

And I had a feeling $30 dollars seemed to good to be what I needed.
zero wrote:Keep an eye on Trademe - I once got an M-Audio USB interface for $50.
I might just do that.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Your recording program will have a buffer setting in it somewhere, usually measured in samples. Lower value means lower latency, but it pushes the computer much harder. You might be able to run the built in input at a low buffer but it might freak out, in theory a proper interface should be more stable at lower buffers, but you are still at the mercy of your CPU power.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I might keep an eye on trade me for a while. Looks like the M-Audio fast track are going for around $80