DI only recording

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

DI only recording

Post by definite » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:58 pm

Ive discovered I really like bass recorded purely by DI. It totally suits the type of music I am presently making . Recording straight out of my Washburn Bantam (active pickups) it sounds mean! At times almost synth like in some weird way...

I was always of the mind that you had to have a mix of amp and DI to get a good sound but ive discovered different.

HANGMAN 'Raw Materials' EP out soon!
http://www.hangman.org.nz

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: DI only recording

Post by beagle » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:21 pm

How you get the right sound doesn't matter as long as you get it! :wink: Recording certainly is a whole different thing to playing live.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:14 pm

beagle wrote:How you get the right sound doesn't matter as long as you get it! :wink: Recording certainly is a whole different thing to playing live.
absolutely! ive found that if you want immediacy and upfront punch then DI alone can be great! i would never DI into a PA at a gig though (unless my amp died or something)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:51 pm

Ditto :-)

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:56 am

beagle wrote:How you get the right sound doesn't matter as long as you get it!
Pretty much the rule of recording is if it sounds good and you aren't breaking anything, go for it!

I really like the sound of a P bass played softly with a pick direct, but as a rule I do not DI bass when recording.
I own over 10k worth of recording gear, and proudly do not own a DI box (I do have one built into one of my mic pres though....)

Something really strange I notice is people talking about recording bass on recording forums, people always want to get that "Ampegy" sound, and everyone starts discussing DI boxes, preamps, compressers ect. No one ever mentions getting an Ampeg and trying some mics.....

Post a clip!

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:46 am

I think everybody's hit the nail on the head with this one. Different recording situations and styles of music are definitely more suited to one method than the other, but the best thing to do is just listen. The world expert on whether a recording's captured the bass sound you need is yourself.

This was my moody atmospheric band from about a year ago. Bass tracks are a combination of a Behringer DI and a Shure Beta52a on the amp. http://media.putfile.com/Morphina

This bass tracks on this myspace page are all straight DI. http://www.myspace.com/blackriverdrivenz

And, even more minimalist, the bass sample on this (unfinished) track were recorded straight from my bass into a desk. http://media.putfile.com/New-One-16

The best idea, just find what works for you...although I would personally recommend investing in a sansamp if it's within your budget.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:27 pm

On the subject of differing opinions, I would recommend not getting a Sansamp :lol:
I just don't know why everyone gets so excited about them, I think they sound like *BANNED*!

BTW, I've compared a Sansamp Bass Driver side by side with the Behringer copy, and they are VERY close.
The Behringer is $90 and the Sansamp is $400.

If you want good sounding amp emulation just for recording I recommend the IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX plugin.

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:37 pm

definite wrote:Ive discovered I really like bass recorded purely by DI. It totally suits the type of music I am presently making . Recording straight out of my Washburn Bantam (active pickups) it sounds mean! At times almost synth like in some weird way...

I was always of the mind that you had to have a mix of amp and DI to get a good sound but ive discovered different.

HANGMAN 'Raw Materials' EP out soon!
http://www.hangman.org.nz
I fully take that back now! You need to capture some air moving aswell to get a good sound! :oops:

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:08 pm

timi wrote:On the subject of differing opinions, I would recommend not getting a Sansamp :lol:
I just don't know why everyone gets so excited about them, I think they sound like *BANNED*!

BTW, I've compared a Sansamp Bass Driver side by side with the Behringer copy, and they are VERY close.

If you want good sounding amp emulation just for recording I recommend the IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX plugin.
I tried one of these today:

Its a new pedal made by Tech21 (same company that make the Bass Driver DI) but its a bit different. The BBDI is a more generic "tube amp being mic'd" sim with settings in the manual called SVT, Bassman ect. The VT bass is similar but is based around Ampeg models only, particularly a fliptop and an SVT. Its not a DI, but the BBDI isn't an amazing DI anyway. Just duct tape the VT to a Countryman or Radial.

I was really impressed by this pedal. Nailed the Ampeg sound much better than the BBDI and didn't suffer the mid scoop. They have added a mid knob but taken away the presence knob (you won't miss it) and the blend knob. Blend would be nice but since the VT sounds more natural its not really needed. The character knob is pretty cool, its lets you go between a Fliptop and SVT.

All up it was a cool pedal and worth a try, miles ahead of the horrible BBDI!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:21 pm

recording with both gives you better mix options too Definite.
certain tracks will sit better with differing ratios of speaker/DI
particularly in the situation of preparing for a CD release where you are attempting to convey some sort of tonal variety.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:29 pm

timi wrote:On the subject of differing opinions, I would recommend not getting a Sansamp :lol:

If anyone is interested in the Berhinger rip off, they are reduced to$50 at the moment at the rockshop (thanks for the heads up Joppo)
I rang the wellington RS today to see if they have any in stock, and they told me the are not going to stock them anymore and that there are ony 7 left in the country .
Going to get me one tomorrow

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Cheap as chippies!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:41 pm

I know . As I said to Nev " I'll spend more on gas driving to the rock shop to pick it up:D

Chip

Post by Chip » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Yeah, I generally DI for most recordings mixed with an amp mic if there's an amp around. I don't really know much about amps etc so don't take much notice of them in the recording process unless we absolutely wanna try one out. Otherwise I'll just go pure DI which is how I have done the majority of my recording work. In those instances where we do use an amp as well as DI, it has been generally the way in which the DI sound is used by itself as the bass and fingers seem to do the trick.

Do need to learn more about that amp stuff tho

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Its just a case of whether or not your rig is part of your sound.

If you are playing a really natural hifi sounding rig theres probably no point micing, because the point of the rig is not to alter the character of the bass, so why not just use a good DI to get the natural sound of the bass?

However, if you are using a charactered sounding rig which is a part of your tone micing is a must. You could blend that in with a DI'd tone if you wanted, but that would take some of the rigs character away (which might work in the mix). Other things you can do is use the mic for the tone and use the DI to add in some more low end for example.

As someone who uses the sum of a bass, pedals, an amp and a cab to get my tone, micing is the only way I record.