Minimalist recording setup

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
Jide

Re: Minimalist recording setup

Post by Jide » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 pm

hey,

I recommend picking up an audio interface with maybe four-to-eight inputs. i've got the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, which has four mic inputs in the front, two of which you can plug your instruments into, 6 line inputs at the back with MIDI and S/PDIF. Phantom power goes to the four inputs at the front and you'll want to make sure you've got a USB 2.0 bus if you want all these features. It's great for any sort of recording.

Alot to read above which I couldn't be bothered reading so if someone has already said this sorry but it's also worth picking up some good quality mics like the Shure SM57.

Also, before you go and spend to much money on expensive software like ProTools and Cubase and so on, don't forget to check out the freeware scene. Although commercial is always better, download the free program, Audacity if you are looking at just recording and not doing too much processing, that way you aren't paying for alot of extra features you won't end up using.

On the other hand, if you do want some serious results it is definetly worth investing some money in something like Cubase, or Ableton Live. Apple Logic is also a good choice.

All the stuff I have recommended is if you want to get more serious with your recording and get some pretty cool sounding results.
Also it's worth looking for some plug-ins.

Cheers,
Josh 8)

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:47 am

The M-Audio unit would be great to start on especially for how much it would cost, but realistically it's a fairly entry level piece of gear. I certainly would not recommend it to someone who wants to get serious.

Also, not sure if you are talking about the SM57 being high quality in terms of robustness or sound quality. They are nearly unbreakable, but I wouldn't really say they have "good sound quality" as such. I would describe it more as a "cool sound" that just works really well for lots of things, but not so much on others. They are cheap and worth having for sure though.

Jide

Post by Jide » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm

hey,

true the M-Audio isn't as serious as some other interfaces but it's alot better than others.
such interfaces like the PreSonus Firepod are good but i didn't think of recommending it for a minimalist recording setup.

the M-Audio is good for what i use it for as i am mostly computer music based. i record my bass using DI, program drums using the keyboard and likewise for the lead pattern and apply a synthesizer, such as TAL-Bassline, a good free soft synth.

the fast track ultra is in fact my first interface but i think it is perfect for recording a band or computer music.

in fact, "computer music", a UK magazine on, you guessed it, making music on your computer gave the fast track ultra 9/10.

sorry if i sound a bit defencive of the little interface but i think it is an excellent choice for a minimalist recording setup such as this one.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:16 pm

I wouldn't call that Presonus very good either. 8 pres and an interface for under $1000 makes be suspicious.

Then again, I'm sitting next to a rack filled with Digidesign, Apogee and Audient gear.....

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 pm

try out the tc electronic konnekt range. i find them very nice. sounds real good too.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:25 pm

I've done some recordings on the Presonus firepod and it seems to do the bus very well from what I could tell. (Disclaimer; I'm no expert :wink: )
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Jide

Post by Jide » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:38 pm

i think it might have actually been 1000 pounds not dollars.... :oops:

anyway, the firepod is a pretty good piece of gear. :wink:

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:08 pm

$1000, or 300 pounds, they are around that price. It's entry level gear that serves its purpose well, but it is not "good".