New band's new recording, jazz/pop..ish

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
potatoes
Silver Member

New band's new recording, jazz/pop..ish

Post by potatoes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 pm

https://soundcloud.com/goodintentnz/anything-goes

Just another Auckland band, this is my band from MAINZ music school, we wrote and recorded this all at the school. Would be thankful to anyone who'd like to have a listen, I really like how this one turned out. That is our drummer doing the rap section by the way, in case you're wondering who the hell comes in there... :D

And because this is a bass forum I will mention I am playing a Warwick corvette strung with chromes on this one, bass plugged right into the board

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: New band's new recording, jazz/pop..ish

Post by pins » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Cool stuff you guys,nice playing dude.Great Kiwi talent yet again
The bass sits nicely in the mix for me and tonally sounds really appropriate for the tune.I can see why your happy with the result and,go the Warwick.

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:09 pm

yea dude sounds really good, it makes a real joke of that nz talent show that was on tv when there's real talent out there keep it up!

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey now, there are some great and talented musicians being paid to pretend to play on those shows :D

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 am

Nice playing Potatoes. Tone of bass is nice.

Just one thing that stood out for me for improvement was the turn-arounds on the 4th bars of the verses ( @ about 0.27 secs for example ) where you play stcatto-ish notes. I thnk I know what you were trying to do there so maybe just a liitlle adjustment of the technique to make it sound less 'stilted' - or maybe let those notes ring through to the next, or just have on whole note. However that's just my idea, others may differ

Nit picking yes, but you did ask for an opinion :mrgreen:

Otherwise, as others have said, nice playing and good mix.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

walker.chris36

Post by walker.chris36 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:16 am

Ex MAINZ pupil here (in CHCH), And corvette player also, thought that tone sounded familiar!!
Loved the song BTW, you must've put alot of effort into the arrangment and recording, pretty good results man. Proud to see a MAINZ student putting a decent effort in!