New 'hissing' problem

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

New 'hissing' problem

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:22 am

Ok so at the last 4 gigs I've been having what I thought was the same old hissing / buzzing problem I was having hack in 2013 with my old bass and set up.

I plug my bass (passive) into amp, DI Amp to the desk and it is hissing through FOH.... unplug bass from amp and no hissing.
if I plug my bass direct into desk there is no hissing.....

So at Saturdays gig it starts hissing again and guitarist says "I know what the problem is" goes to my amp and turns the treble slider off and.... no hissing!!! - turn the treble slider up and it hisses - turn it off and no hissing... weird!

so we made some adjustrments on the desk and bass sounded fine out front, but on stage sound was not that good and drummer had trouble hearing me.

Do I need to take the amp in to get looked at? or is there something else I can do because I like having trable on my on stage sound
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

brando2880

Re: New 'hissing' problem

Post by brando2880 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:38 am

Does your bass have 2 pick ups and is it shielded? I had the same problem on a jazz bass, shielded the pick up and control cavities with copper tape and it was fine. Also if you have a horn turn that down a bit might help as well. Also could be an earthing fault on the amp itself.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:34 pm

no bass is a Squire Modified Jazz with 2 passive pickups - about a year old from The Rock Shop
I played the bass straight through the mixing desk and it didn't 'hiss' out front
so it's only when the bass is plugged into the amp and the treble slider turned up when there is hissing
and that makes me think it is more of an amp problem
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:I played the bass straight through the mixing desk and it didn't 'hiss' out front
so it's only when the bass is plugged into the amp and the treble slider turned up when there is hissing
and that makes me think it is more of an amp problem
There will always be some background noise in your signal, if you then boost a bunch of treble it's totally normal to get high frequency noise that will sound like hissing. Of course you aren't getting the hiss when you go direct into the PA because you aren't boosting a bunch of treble.

Two ways to solve this;
1: Set the DI on your amp to pre EQ, that way your treble boost only applies to your cab and won't go to the PA.

2: Keep it on post EQ but roll off some treble on the bass channel on the PA.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 pm

timi wrote:
There will always be some background noise in your signal, if you then boost a bunch of treble it's totally normal to get high frequency noise that will sound like hissing. Of course you aren't getting the hiss when you go direct into the PA because you aren't boosting a bunch of treble.

Two ways to solve this;
1: Set the DI on your amp to pre EQ, that way your treble boost only applies to your cab and won't go to the PA.

2: Keep it on post EQ but roll off some treble on the bass channel on the PA.
thanks I always have my DI set to 'pre-EQ' so it doesn't affect FOH.... but last weekend we did a gig with a big PA / sound guy and he used a DI box.... sounded mint through the PA and I could put the treble up on my amp without ruining the FOH sound.... so in the short term I think I will get a good DI box - not sure whether or not I need a passive DI box or Active DI box (bass is passive)

Long term though I might get my amp looked at

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Ok, so I bought an external DI box (Behringer) and that solved the problem... for a while.... now the buzzing's come back...

I was wondering it having the DI Box on top of my amp might have something to do with it - because it does have a 9v battery in it
We've tried pretty much everything else to shop the buzzing

any suggestions would be more than welcome

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:42 am

I have always had an issue with a small amount of hissing coming from my bass due to having single coil pickups + other hissing noises from time to time. I use a noise gate (on my Rane DC24) and now there are no issues with hissing noises. Have you ever considered getting a noise gate and seeing if that solves your problem?
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:Ok, so I bought an external DI box (Behringer) and that solved the problem... for a while.... now the buzzing's come back...

I was wondering it having the DI Box on top of my amp might have something to do with it - because it does have a 9v battery in it
We've tried pretty much everything else to shop the buzzing

any suggestions would be more than welcome

what ever happened to buying a good di box?
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 am

UPDATE -
Ok so set up at last weekends gig and use the DI box, and there is huge amount of hissing though FOH…. I then plug my bass direct into the desk (bypassing the amp and DI box) and there is no hissing – so bass is fine.

Drummer rummages his case with his drum / vocal mics in and pulls out a DI box (he didn’t know it was a DI box) so we put a new battery in it and bingo… no hissing or anything – in fact guitarist commented that it is the best that my bass has sounded out front!!

So it seems that my DI box is faulty and not working properly. I asked guitarist after gig if putting a new battery in would make a difference and he said if the battery was dead then the DI box simply wouldn’t work – is this the case?

I don’t want to take the DI box back to the shop saying it is faulty, only to have them put a new battery in and get it working

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:18 pm

well. most DI boxes can work with phantom power from the desk. a problem with some of the behringer DI boxes are that they are really noisy.
which specific model is it? take it back i reckon, and hopefully the next one doesnt act up after awhile.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:26 am

irvinz wrote:well. most DI boxes can work with phantom power from the desk. a problem with some of the behringer DI boxes are that they are really noisy.
which specific model is it? take it back i reckon, and hopefully the next one doesnt act up after awhile.
this is the DI box I bought http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/livesoun ... itter.html
it's simple and easy to use, but doesn't seem to be working.....
we have phanton power in the desk and I think drummer uses it for his kick drum mic
The rock shop does have this one for $20 more http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/livesoun ... i-box.html - but it's another behringer and I'm not sure if I really want to get another behringer.....

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Or you could keep an eye on trade me for a deal. This looks like it could be worth looking into
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 488183.htm

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:49 pm

those two channels are notoriously bad, the single channel DI100 is pretty decent fyi.

i would love a radial sb-2. now if there was one on trade me!

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Well I took the DI to the rock shop and they plugged a bass into the DI with a cannon to cannon from the DI to the PA (just as I would do at a gig) and it sounded perfect - no buzzing / hissing at all. they did use a $2100 fender jazz bass to try it out, but as I mentioned before I've plugged my bass direct into our desk with no noise out front.
the battery light on the DI was flashing, but they couldn't tell me if that means it needs a new battery at all or not - I'll have to get my wifes reading glasses and read the manual / instructions that came with it - and they are in about size 1 font!