Mistakes on Recordings

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
john
Gold Member

Mistakes on Recordings

Post by john » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:22 am

i was listening to' la vie en rose' grace jones. and towards the end of the song the bass player clearly goes to change to the next passage two bars before every one else. bet the bassist cant listen to that song. have any of you heard any mishaps on recordings??????????????

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: mistakes on recordings

Post by foal30 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:10 pm

I think 6 months after the record is out you say "I wish I had played..."
It's certainly what I have done, anyway.

"Fire" by Jimi Hendrix is probably the most famous one, Redding in the outro goes AWOL
Adam Clayton has got a few, there is a beauty on a live track whose name escapes me.

The Housemartins Best of challenges the listener to find the Bass mistakes in the Album's linear notes.
wonder what Fatboy thinks of that now.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:50 am

i used a brand new set of strings (rotosound ss) on my steinberger L2 , for a recording years ago, sounded ok in the monitors but tinny as on vynyl - an eternal torture :x

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:02 am

play back versus radio tone is a big lesson.
given today's preference for BS headphones and computers it'll be no surprise to see a return to the days of
"Keep of the E string". Car stereo is a good one to test a rough mix on. Also many listeners do not EQ their stereo for the recording currently on, one size fits all approach.

I can't remember ever using new strings or the tone past 25% on a recording with my L2. They can cut well but like there physical design may lack a little body. Often I use no tone, and thumb w/palm mute, gets it big and round. I'd also love some flatwounds for it...

Also, I am working through some sessions for the new record and I find a Bass mistake I really like, so it can work both ways as far as getting new ideas.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:04 pm

your right about mistakes that can work. any recordings ive done are full of em, good and bad , mostly bad though. . lucky we are'nt trying to sell them. people would be like " check out this sloppy bassist"

Shaeve

Post by Shaeve » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:15 pm

I played a chorus riff over an outro in one of our recordings.Same key just not quite the same feel. I had planned to do it and everyone expected me do do it except the sound engineer. To this day it still sounds great to me,but I dont think the enginner liked the way it went at all.

A
Two balls are better than one - Steinberger Me!

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:21 am

not really 'mistakes' necessarily but in the classic albums tv series it was always interesting to hear bass parts soloed out from within the multi-track sessions of huge albums.

eg Nirvanas Nevermind LP - Krist Novoselics basslines at times sounded pretty rough and ready :D but within the songs sounded awesome - and i guess thats all that really matters!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 pm

yeah i think that nirvana guy does petty good considering his bass hangs around his knees :lol:

raynor
Bronze Member

Post by raynor » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 am

I just finished doing a recording and dropped a few notes on the bass as per the playback in the studio. It was repaired by the engineer.I cannot understand why there should be mistakes on recordings,unless the engineer has other interests..............? :?:

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 am

depends on whose paying Ray.

look at James Brown
45 seconds into Get Involved he calls it off, recounts and off they go again

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:25 pm

raynor wrote:I just finished doing a recording and dropped a few notes on the bass as per the playback in the studio. It was repaired by the engineer.I cannot understand why there should be mistakes on recordings,unless the engineer has other interests..............? :?:
sometimes those 'mistakes' add character - imo, recording a song is best when it captures the emotion/ feeling/ performance. in this day and age of pro-tools and 'anything is possible' its easy to strip recordings of their character by 'fixing everything'...

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:26 pm

foal30 wrote:look at James Brown
45 seconds into Get Involved he calls it off, recounts and off they go again
Apparently he used to charge a fee to anyone in the band who made a mistake... as it was wasting his time.. Quite an insentive to play well huh
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:58 pm

i just bought and watched the Nirvana Unplugged DVD and man theres plenty of mistakes in that !
Not just by Krist on bass but by everyone at some point or another - doesnt detract though, if anything it helps make it more real and intimate.

its great to watch it in full after years of listening to the album too.

:-)
http://www.hangman.org.nz

pdf

Post by pdf » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Jerry Scheff (great West Coast USA player, did the Elvis gigs at Las Vegas when Elvis could still see his feet) tells the story of how he made a colossal blunder in "Cherish" by The Association. The producer left it in. Years later he was in an elevator when he heard the tune covered by some anonymous musak band and yes, they included his clanger, loud & clear.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:14 pm

pdf wrote:. Years later he was in an elevator when he heard the tune covered by some anonymous musak band and yes, they included his clanger, loud & clear.

:lol: