Getting your bass into the PA.

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos

How do you like to get your bass into the PA?

DI only.
26%
Mic only
9%
Mic and DI.
17%
Mic and DI, but use the mic for the tone and the DI for low end on massive PA's.
4%
Don't care, as long as the soundguy makes it sound good.
35%
Don't care at all/don't know.
9%

Total votes: 23

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: Getting your bass into the PA.

Post by beagle » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 am

ha ha ... classic cartoon!! :lol:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:03 am

sound guys pefer di over mike as it gives them greater control, (their pet hate is sound checking only to have the player crank (alter) their sound during gig) :x , if the bass is miked and you go and turn it up, you not only make it bad for sound guy, you make it bad for the next bass player at their next gig. - tip - be good to your sound man, support him, if he appreciates you making his job easier, he might give you more attention,if the gig is really important to you, slip him a $20 before you go on. If your miked up, dont touch that dial.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:21 am

So those of you who said DI/leave it up to the soundguy, how many of you use any overdrive or distortion?

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:30 pm

I dont use distortion but if i did i would D I the dry signal and run the distortion through my amp - or - use a sansamp di or other di/dist effect unit.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:23 am

timi wrote:So those of you who said DI/leave it up to the soundguy, how many of you use any overdrive or distortion?
Not me.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:40 am

Me neither :P

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:15 pm

nor i.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:48 am

To revive an old post, I've been reading a lot of stuff on talkbass recently and came across something very interesting.
Most bass amps these days have built in DI's (although many sound engineers don't like to use them because they often can be noisy).
I would have assume that like a dynamic mic, they don't need phantom power but it won't damage anything if you did have it on.

WRONG!! It seems that lots of bass amps can be damaged by running phantom into their inbuilt DI, sometimes only damaging the DI but sometimes doing serious damage to other parts of the amp.

For those of you who DI using the inbuilt one on your amp, be very careful. Do some research to see if your amp could be damaged by this.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:38 am

ive used the direct out on the back of my gk400rb to the desk for years with no damage, mind you, its a 1/4" jack connection (ive always used a guitar cable - should i use a speaker cable?? )- and no i dont use distortion either (leave that to the guitar players).

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:46 pm

A DI uses a 3 pin XLR, sounds like you are just using your line out, probably running that into a DI box.
If this is the case, you do not need to worry about phantom power damaging your amp.

If its a line out, you shouldn't use a speaker cable.
If its a speaker out passing through a DI box and then into your cab, you should be using speaker cables.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:54 pm

why would you put a di between your amp and speaker?
oh and ive just started using a fuzz. sweet.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Lots of DI boxes have an option to run the speaker out through them.
This is so you get the tone of your whole amp, not just your preamp. Not really much point on solid state amps but it makes sense with tubes.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:36 pm

thats cool. bet you wont use that option with the gk! have you got it yet?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Yeah I got it. Its really cool, once I use all my pedals theres very little difference between it and the Orange.
Not quite as much low end as the Orange and its a bit "faster" sounding, but with EQ I can dial in a great sound. The other guys in my band can't really tell....

GK's actually do get some tone from the power amp (known as the "GK growl") so it could be ok, but I just prefer to mic for the main part of the tone.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:28 pm

I always travel with a Sansamp BDDI pedal. Nine times out of ten the sound guy wouldn't have a suitable mic to mic up my rig or would have no mic at all. At least with the Sansamp I know the desk is getting a decent signal, and I don't always trust built in DIs.If they are going to DI I would rather use a bass specific DI box such as the Sansamp than the usual one box does all type they provide. For years I used an Ampeg SVT2 (non-pro) head with the matching fridge, and the DI out was way too hot, similarly with my current Mesa 400+ (and yes, I am a tube fanatic). Plus even if they did have a bass-specific mic to use I would still be at the mercy of the sound guy as to what he thinks my amp "should"sound like and subject to the usual eqs, limiters etc. etc. I don't think the Sansamp is quite the be all and end all that they build it up to be on the overseas sites, but it has never let me down. I must admit to be hankering after one of the new Peterson Strobostomp pedal tuners which has a built in DI also - kills two birds with one stone.