Suitable Mic's for Micing a Bass Amp

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: Suitable Mic's for Micing a Bass Amp

Post by beagle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 am

john wrote: Done a bit before, but not for about 8-10 years now.
This is by far the easiest I have been involved in. Thanks to being able to adjust our own head phone mix separately , we all stood in the same room as the drummer with our amps in other rooms
Sep headphone mix would of been great. Good stuff man. Keen to hear how it comes out. 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 am

This is by far the easiest I have been involved in. Thanks to being able to adjust our own head phone mix separately , we all stood in the same room as the drummer with our amps in other rooms
Sep headphone mix would of been great. Good stuff man. Keen to hear it when finished. 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 am

EV20 is a great mic, I use mine on all sorts of things but it really shines on kick, bass and loud vocals.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:54 am

With my limited home recording setup I use an SM57 to record bass, sounds great, not bassy enough for some genres though I'd say.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:00 am

beagle wrote:
Sep headphone mix would of been great. Good stuff man. Keen to hear it when finished. 8)
Yeah it is awesome to have a little mixer right beside you, to adjust between songs . Real time saver...
We'll see how it turns out before I go showing people :D

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Where did you record John?
I love those wee mixer things in studio's aye, its like being your own side stage monitor engineer, crank up the kick, snare and most importanly yourself :lol:
I've used the ones at York Street, not sure what breed they are, so easy to use though.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:24 pm

last time i used one of those headphone mixer things was at The Lab, and the damn thing blew a driver in my Senn HD25's :(

lesson learnt: use the cans the studio provides in future!
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm

That sucks...I almost used my head phones, because they have a better low end response then the ones provided...Glad I didn't
dannowilso wrote:Where did you record John?
I love those wee mixer things in studio's aye, its like being your own side stage monitor engineer, crank up the kick, snare and most importanly yourself :lol:
I've used the ones at York Street, not sure what breed they are, so easy to use though.
I am not even sure what it was called, the singer jacked it up, they didn't have any sign or anything, it was on Martin square in Wellington.
Yeah they really made it an enjoyable experience.
Funny you should say "and most importanly yourself" That was the case :mrgreen: , Have to hear if you are messing up right

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi guys,
Firstly, interesting comments on this hread, but a bit dated now I guess.
I have a similar question, two years on.

Can anyone recommend a good all round mic for about 200 odd nicker, that records well in front of a bass cab and can be used for live gigs also.
Does such a beast exist, in that price range?
If not, whats the next best more expensive mic for the job, and how much are we talking?

Cheers
Sean

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 pm

I am also in the hunt for the same thing as Sean,and have been toying up a couple options so far,one music shop suggested Shure SM57 and the other a Sennheiser e606 ? (unsure if he read or I heard the number on the box correctly over the phone).
Currently doing intraweb research on the subject,and it seems as always there are a ton of opinions.

My on stage sound is a personal preference,and why I spent a bomb on new gear,and why I like to twiddle knobs to get what I want to hear.
I dont trust or believe the DI is replicating "my" sound in the FOH.
We're only talking about our own self controlled PA and so no "sound men" are involved so I have complete control to a degree for a change.

Found this http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... ifier.html

and http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/best- ... mp-927557/ actually it contains the above link :oops:

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks for the link Chris... if I find something half decent I'll let you know.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:12 am

Same goes Sean,Im actually hoping to try before I buy,keen to hear the results.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:56 am

Not a heap of options in that budget, and I wouldn't get too carried away as the mic placement can make just as much difference as changing the mic. Also my experience of mixing in venues of up to 300ish capacity is that once the bass player is comfortable with their stage level you may not even need much bass running through the PA.

You wouldn't go wrong with those options but I'd go for the e606/e609, which is a bit brighter and maybe has a touch more low end than a 57 but it's also hyper-cardioid which helps reduce bleed if placed correctly (and bleed can be really problematic miking bass live, the top end from cymbals and guitars can overpower the top end from the bass).

If you want to spend more go back to page 1 and check out some of the broadcast dynamic mics, they start around $600 and most of them would give you a more solid low end.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 am

Excellent info,thanks timi,think I will re-evaluate the budget.I have been reading lots of good things about the EV RE20.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 am

I have one I'm thinking about selling actually, nice mic but I often find myself using other things in the studio. In perfect condition and I'd want $500 for it, if I sell it :D