Group Bass Solo Experiment

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
Oxblood

Re: Group Bass Solo Experiment

Post by Oxblood » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:05 am

I can't access either of those zshare downloads using Firefox. As soon as I hit the "Download now" link, the browser crashes. I'll try a different browser.

LATER: Have just tried doing it with IE. The track plays in the browser, but clicking the download link results in a forest of advertising crap. :x

joppo

Post by joppo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:19 am

Oxblood wrote:The track plays in the browser, but clicking the download link results in a forest of advertising crap. :x
Yeah, zshare is fine to just play in the browser, but a pain to get through the advertising if you do want to download. :? Let us know if there is a better site to load share the files through and we can load them up there.

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:36 am

Oxblood wrote:I can't access either of those zshare downloads using Firefox. As soon as I hit the "Download now" link, the browser crashes. I'll try a different browser.

LATER: Have just tried doing it with IE. The track plays in the browser, but clicking the download link results in a forest of advertising crap. :x
Yea, the problem with something that is free is the advertising.... i use firefox, what i needed was to download media player 11 i think when i was first sussing it... it had a pluggin download link come up when i tried to play it, and that solved that...

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:53 pm

Oxblood wrote: clicking the download link results in a forest of advertising crap. :x
Fire fox has an add blocker setting which I use . I don't get any adds at all.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 pm

I like that beat Joppo... i'm looking forward to having a crack at it.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

joppo

Post by joppo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Yea, I found it was really good fun to play over. I thought the rythmn would limit the options for a bass line, but when I got down to trying found there were heaps of options that seemed to work. Looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with :D

By the way, nice work John! Quite different to the last one, aye? How many takes did you do? I think I stopped counting somewhere after about 15 practices and 10 attempts at recording :oops:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Not to many takes hence the mess ups. I might go back and rerecord it at somestage. .
Yeah looking forward to hearing others do something on it. Yours sounds good Nev

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:51 am

Here's my version. Was quite a fun little pattern to play along with... did take quite a few goes till I was happy with it. :)
Recorded on my Cort fretted acoustic bass just for a change. Didn't notice till afterwards that I was overcooking the gain a little bit.

files/beagle_joppo_funkybeat.mp3

That's the first time in Audacity that I've found my recorded track not being in sync with the drum track. Was pretty easy to fix with the time shift tool... but it's a bit of a pain.

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:00 pm

Very cool Beagle 8) Suits the track really well. Your acoutic has a great tone too.

So is the delay in Audacity due to latency? Are you and John recording straight into your soundcards or through something like a USB interface? Most regular soundcards have quite a high latency which would give you your delay.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Cheers Nev. It's pretty good for a cheap bass. I used the computer sound card to record.
Re: syncing
I looked in the Audacity help file and it said that the delay was 'inevitable to varying degrees' in this situation and recommended the time shift as the solution.
They also said that they were going to try to improve it with newer versions of the software... so I guess it could be a software issue.

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:22 am

Ok heres one from me in Am, didnt take many takes on this one, but have actually done quite a few.... even got as far as uploading two before i decided they where crap, so i figured i better post this now before i change my mind :roll:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/1929637369ea4502/

Oh yea thats on my stingray, both bucks going plugged straight into my media interface.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:38 am

Hey that's good Random 8) . Ties in with the rhythm well.
Really interesting hearing how different people approach a rhythm.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Sweet! Random, Very nice sounding MM

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Tah guys... yea it is good to see different ways o approaching a rhythm...

nzbassplayer

Post by nzbassplayer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 am