Recording Brass Bands

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
Jide

Recording Brass Bands

Post by Jide » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey,

I'm going to be recording an album for a brass band and am just wondering if anyone has any experience in recording such setups and if anyone has any tips?

I own three SM57's, and SM58 and am currently looking to buy an omni-directional and figure-8 mic. I know it is possible to record the band with this number of mics but if I really wanted some good results and wanted to be able to really single out sounds while mastering should i pick up some other mics?

Cheers,
Josh 8)

timi
Gold Member

Re: Recording Brass Bands

Post by timi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:28 am

Before you think about mics you need to think about how the band sounds in the room. If it sounds crap you will just be recording crap.

Once you have a nice sounding room you need to think about how the band is setup. Will the band be in a room all facing into the middle, or setup like they are playing to a crowd? Omni's could work if they are all facing in, but if its the other way keep in mind that omni's will just pickup more room sound, which could be either a good or bad thing depending on how roomy you want it and how good the room sounds. I can't see figure 8 mics being useful for this recording.

I would use a matched pair of condensers (either omni or cardiod) placed in the room to capture the entire band evenly. Cheap condensers will probably sound harsh, so if you don't have much budget I would recommend hiring a nice pair rather than buying a cheap pair. Mic pres are really important too, for this recording I would want a quality mic pre with a fairly transparent sound.

Keep the 57's and 58's for any instruments that might solo so you can give them a little bit of boost in the mix. Maybe you could try one of the 57's or 58's as a drum overhead too if needed.
Jide wrote:I really wanted some good results and wanted to be able to really single out sounds while mastering
What you are describing is really the mixing stage as opposed to mastering.

Jide

Re: Recording Brass Bands

Post by Jide » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:38 pm

hey,

thanks for the tips

i'll look into picking up some of these mics you recommend. i'm more interested in purchasing mics than hiring so as to expand my mic collection a bit. quite frankly its dismal... :roll:

yes, thank-you for the correction, mixing, not mastering.

cheers,
Josh 8)