Kevin Haines (Bass)

If you're a music teacher, or you know a teacher you recommend then please let everyone know about them.
ryla
Gold Member

Kevin Haines (Bass)

Post by ryla » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:21 am

Kevin Haines was great for me - he simplified the complicated mess i got myself into by reading too many 'theory' and 'bass method books, by stripping everything down to a simplified 'worldview' and building up from there. He told me he loved doing my lessons because i always completed my 'homework exercises' - alot of his lessons with others were spent on going over the exercises from last week, that werent done which is basically a waste of his time and your money, so if you take lessons, make the most of them by completing assignments, before taking the next one, even if this means phoning to postpone the next lesson till your ready.

trb6
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace/hsv113

Re: Kevin Haines (Bass)

Post by trb6 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:01 pm

Hey Ryla, I'm currently looking for a bass tutor to teach me how to read music, and I read what great things you had to say about Kevin Haines, do you know if he is still tutoring? And maybe a contact number.

I'm o.k with chord charts but I want to take my theory to the next level.

Cheers.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:24 am

you can catch kevin haines on november 6 at unijazzfest at the maidment - put on by uni school of music, i cant give away anyones contact number if they dont advertise it, school of music might help you with that. - hit the library - its a goldmine of bass clef and of course treble stuff, read the sax stuff as well as drums, found very useful "sight to sound;a guide to reading for the studio', by leon white - you have to ask for it as its 'well read' - theres alot of good how to read books from the library - my biggest hang up with alot of bass theory books is having tab below the script, i find it soooo distracting (i should be more disciplined), the above book is great for recognising rhythm patterns, learn equally both clefs, youll be surprised how youll automatically assimilate the code. Wite your own stuff, download stuff if you cant order stuff from the library, sheetmusicplus, google scripts, great book im reding at the moment - highly recommend "teach yourself to read music - a guide for pop, rock, blues and jazz singers', by jeffery deutsch., order it after im done with it - singing the notes and intervals while reading is cool as you should sing the notes and intervals you play on bass while practising, hope this helps, - Nev. - ps, get the basics sussed before a teacher to get max value out of the teacher.

trb6
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace/hsv113

Post by trb6 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:35 am

Cheers ryla.

Cavati

Post by Cavati » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:26 pm

Hello Kevin,
My name's Ricardo Cavati
I am a Brazilian eletric bass player,I've been playing bass guitar and acustic guitar for 12 years.
I was looking for a double bass teacher and I heard about you.
I really need to learn to play double bass because I want to do bachelor of music(jazz Major) next year and as you probably know there is a audition and I really need your help.
please let me know if you can teach me,ok?
I look forward to hearing from you
Thanks a lot
Ricardo Cavati
Contact number 0212700067

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi Ricardo :)
Kevin isn't a member of this site... does anyone know how Ricardo can get hold of him? ... Ryla?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Are you looking at doing the Auckland or Massey uni jazz degree?

Cavati

Post by Cavati » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:36 pm

I was thinking to do the jazz major at Auckland university because I didn't know about the messey university...why dude,do you know anyone can help me?
thanks guys for you attention...
Ricardo

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:57 pm

i work at the school of music part time doing stage and such.
wasn't there when kevin was playing, but was on the other subsequent nights.

another good bass teacher is scott sutherland.
you prob can get kevin's number from calling the school of music or something ayez
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:52 pm

Cavati wrote:I was thinking to do the jazz major at Auckland university because I didn't know about the messey university...why dude,do you know anyone can help me?
thanks guys for you attention...
Ricardo
I did a year at Auckland, and then a year at Massey, and Massey was better by FAR. Apparently it still is too, plus Alberto is the bass tutor there...and you can't go wrong with him :)

Cavati

Post by Cavati » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Thanks dude for your help!!! I really appreciated it...by the way do you have the school phone number or scott sutherland phone number???

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:53 pm

u can google search them online. lol
oh just realised that i dont think scott teaches upright.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

thenewguy
Bronze Member

Kevin Haines

Post by thenewguy » Sat May 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Does anyone know if Kevin teaches electric privately? if so does anyone have have contact details for him.