Hipshot D-Tuner

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Hipshot D-Tuner

Post by BrendonM » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:37 am

Hello there,

I remember when the hipshot D-Tuners came out and see that some instruments even come out with them now. I never detune my instrument to play a song although I see lots of bands do. I watched a really good local band do it on Saturday night to play System Of A Downs 'Chop Suey'. We play the same song and I just stretch instead of detuning, the result seems to be the same. If I ever did the detune thing I think I'd go for a hip shot instead of having to retune all the time, as I noted to my wife about the long break between songs as they did so. Long breaks can kill momentum when it's rocking...

Does anybody here use one?
Are they a stable and accurate D-Tune, Re-Tune?
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:33 am

Constantly changing tuning of one string is sure to make the string sound bad quickly and more prone to breakage.

And surely its not good for the neck, I refuse to let anyone drop tune my instruments incase this is true.

That said, the Hipshot D-Tuner is a clever idea, but I have only seen one person use one.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:30 am

So I gather these just drop the E string down to D?
As a 4 string player the idea of getting a low D is quite appealing on occasion... but if i wanted it that much I'd get a 5 string and stretch like Brendon's saying.

The ongoing affect to the neck is an interesting point timi.
Are you saying that the pressure applied to the neck from the individual E, A, D & B strings are roughly equal? and when you detune the E to D, the pressure across the neck is then unbalanced?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:56 am

beagle wrote:E, A, D & B strings.....
Time to tune your bass mate :wink:

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:44 pm

I never de-tune and I believe it is not good for your instrument.

I have no factual evidence to back this up, my belief is that the instrument is 34" long and it requires certain "tension" to run properly and in tune.
It is made to play E A D G not any other combination. The Wood of the Neck "fits" this pattern , any other makes stress or dissonance for the neck.

To go lower than open E by a 5string, and one with 35" scale or "strung through" bridge. I have yet to play a 34" 5 that speaks in tune all the way down to Low B. Then learn to play it tastefully!

does Graphite respond differently.... yes but it's God Awful playing floopy strings, they don't feel good and mentally your rooted... fingerboard wise... your playing patterns not thinking music and knowing that note your about to hit, the sound isn't the fretted position. It's offputting..A string 9 fret is F#, not anything else.

I hope that makes some sense.

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Id never thought about it before..... but everything you guys are saying makes perfect sense... ive never detuned, but solely out of pure laziness... always seemed like a lot of hassel for one note! Now i can say its for a good reason :D

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:31 pm

foal30 wrote:It is made to play E A D G not any other combination. The Wood of the Neck "fits" this pattern , any other makes stress or dissonance for the neck.
I dont agree with this, for the simple reason that thinner strings put less tension on the neck, which is technically the same as using normal strings tuned lower.

All my basses are tuned a half step down (full Eb), but I have had them properly setup for this and they are fine.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:04 pm

timi wrote:
beagle wrote:E, A, D & B strings.....
Time to tune your bass mate :wink:
he he... opps :oops: I have trouble even talking about G strings!!!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:43 pm

String tension, do the thinner strings put less tension on?

Everyone detune there Wood Basses and see what happens to the neck, I bet it moves, and is not a nice feeling.For the long-term viability of the instrument (and I hope we purchase with long-term aims) I do not believe this is either desierable or even acceptable.

Pro set-up may sort , as Timi says, but this may require Action and Bridge adjustments , string gauges, Nut slots, even a look at the pick-ups.
I also note that your tuning stay current, ie moving down the same interval per string. I don't think everyone does this.

Randomplay , if your talking about anything in my post , PLEASE approach with caution, I have no "Physics" evidence , this is only my extermley limited experience. I am no Tech.

I'm sure Adrian or Big Stu would be able to explain this really well.

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:22 pm

All my basses are tuned a half step down (full Eb)
My covers band tune a semitone lower for live performances. I retune at home back to A = 440
It is made to play E A D G not any other combination.
I love to see great bassists who push the boundaries of the norm like Michael Manring, checkout his tuningsfor various songs he has recorded.
http://www.manthing.com/tunings.htm
Michael endorses Zon basses -- specifically, the Zon Hyperbass, an unusually flexible four-stringed instrument which Manring co-designed with Joseph Zon. The Hyperbass is the first instrument of its kind, designed specifically for altered tuning.

Hipshot produce the Bass Xtender
Normally the bass x-tender keys are tuned to switch between E and D. However, they should easily reach low C and in many cases low B. It is not necessary to go to heavier gauge when using one. Usually a .105 works well. The heavier the string, the stiffer it will be when you flip to your lower note. But, usually .105 works just fine (that is, according to the specifications). They make a range of designs to suit most common machne head styles.

They also produce Bass Tremolo:
check out the range here:
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php ... t_list&c=4

Wow, tuning is a whole thread on its own :)
http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

In my experience, you can tune a bass a semitone down without a setup, although a setup helps and is better for the bass.

I've also played a tone down (full D) properly setup of course, I had to go to thicker strings (50-115). The bass just didnt sound or play as well to me.

I think that there is probably fairly equal tension between the strings, so by detuning just one string you are putting more tension on one side of the neck which might cause slight twisting, but maybe I am just anal.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:46 am

I'm fortunate in that none of the music I play would ever benefit from a detuned string, so I never have to. The KISS principle is always high on my considerations. As the singer, I get to choose the songs ....

However I do use TI Jazz Flats on my basses at times and they are significantly lower in tension, so I do have to alter the trussrod, bridge height and intonation whenever a chuck a set on, or change to a higher-tensioned string set.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:08 pm

i find the B string on my pedulla to have bang-on intonation all the way (some 5ers ive tried around town are floppy and questionable), it quickly solves a problem if our singer wants to drop the key of a cover below E.

kninez

Re: Hipshot D-Tuner

Post by kninez » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:09 pm

Re Original topic question - I am also in the look out for a d-tune hipshot - ive rung the rock shop and they dont bring in ones for Fender BUT I see they are obtainable for about US $ 80 on a few US sites - do a goolge search. But Im not sure which fender model to get as there are various. So if anyone knows where in NZ to get them pls advise. I do covers and have several times had to get that lower D to get the right pitch for the orig song as the artist has also detuned - it is common. (try Foo Fighters Ëvermore") Pls advise if anyone does know where to purchase in NZ....... :?:
Last edited by kninez on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timi
Gold Member

Re: Hipshot D-Tuner

Post by timi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:28 pm

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz

I'm not sure if theres any on the site but give Iain an email.