Assembly/Build advice

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
thenewguy
Bronze Member

Assembly/Build advice

Post by thenewguy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm thinking of buying a body & neck etc as i'm a lefty and want to get something that isn't a budget bass but isn't overly expensive.

I've found a builder who will make me a body in the US and with the $ being the way it is it's reasonably cheap, He'd finish the body but it wont be drilled for the neck or bridge. doing that kind of thing myself terrifies me, so how roughly much would a Luther charge to do that?

timi
Gold Member

Re: Assembly/Build advice

Post by timi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Currently doing something similar. Got a Fender USA P bass neck from Kev77, body and pickups from Warmoth and everything else from guitarparts.co.nz

Was considering putting all together myself but the neck didn't fit properly so I took it to Kenny Duncan in Wellington, he is around $70 per hour I believe. It will probably end up 3 hours work on my bass but if everything fits properly it would take way less. You can probably find someone cheaper but I chose Kenny because several of my friends have used him recently and I was really impressed.

Doing this kind of stuff always ends up more expensive than you think and you don't get to play it first.

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:47 pm

What is a finished body from the USA going to cost you and what type/colour of finish?

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Kenny is my choice too. Not cheap, but will do the best job possible. IMO, no-one comes close to him.

thenewguy
Bronze Member

Post by thenewguy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm

ash wrote:What is a finished body from the USA going to cost you and what type/colour of finish?

The body is a similar to a jazz body, with some alterations to the lower horn to give access to the higher frets. Body is Asher with Quilted maple top, I haven't gone into finishing to much with him yet, i assume that it'll be a poly finish. Price is $150US for the bass & $120US for finishing, he said he'd ship it airmail for free too... I've seen his work and it all seems to be of a good level, but if a local could look at doing the same kind of thing I'd have to consider that too!

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Asher? Is that Ash or Alder?

The dollar vs the dollar has improved recently, so $150 for a new lefty bass body is pretty darn cheap. If you want to go local though, I highly suggest sending a pm to ash.
A-boom boom boom boom!

thenewguy
Bronze Member

Post by thenewguy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 pm

sonicfantom wrote:Asher? Is that Ash or Alder?

The dollar vs the dollar has improved recently, so $150 for a new lefty bass body is pretty darn cheap. If you want to go local though, I highly suggest sending a pm to ash.
ummm yeah that was meant to say Ash. Pretty tempted to get myself an early Christmas present. :D

lettsbasses

Post by lettsbasses » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 am

I know this is pretty old, but I'm new here and am just going through some of the custom posts to see if i can chip in anywhere.
Building a bass from parts should be a very easy task. You may run into issues such as the heel not fitting the pocket etc. These are all very easy things to sort out yourself with some basic tools. I am always happy to talk anyone through these processes. If you're gonna pay $70 phr for such a simple job, you may as well spend the money on a basic router which is pretty much all you need for this tye of thing.
Shout me a pm. if I can help, I will. Easy now.