Sheilding

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Sheilding

Post by Fenderfan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Just thought I'd start a new thread rather than stealing someone else's, but can someone please explain to me what 'sheilding' or what a sheild job is on a bass :?: Cheers, Tim. :?
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Re: Sheilding

Post by model.citizen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:48 pm

pickups by their nature pick up (heh) RF signals quite easily - they're in effect a highly-tuned antenna.

by RF signals we're talking AC hum, radio stations, UHF, ham radio, all sorts of cack.

shielding, in a nutshell, grounds the pickups better so that they don't pick up RF interference.

some pickups benefit from shielding more than others. humbuckers don't need to be shielded as much (if at all) as they cancel out interference.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:49 pm

oh, and a shielding job is usually covering the inside of the pickup and control cavities with copper or aluminium foil, grounded to the earth wire on the output.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 am

Mostly it's Fender jazz basses or their clones with single coil pickups that hum. They usually only do it when one pickup is not on full volume, and usually only in the presence of neon lighting or some other strong source. Shielding will not totally eliminate the interference, but can get rid of a large portion of it. Basses with preamps and/or humbuckers are usually immune. I played Jazz basses for years, and the only time I had a really bad hum was when I lived in Orcland, the bar on the corner of Wellesley St and Albert St had neon signs everywhere.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:30 pm

martyforrer wrote:.. in Orcland, the bar on the corner of Wellesley St and Albert St had neon signs everywhere.
Used to be the DB Tavern once upon a time.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:35 am

That was in the early 90s, from memory it was a hotel.... the trouble with being an old fart is i can remember the 60s perfectly, but cant for the life of me remember what I did last week... :mrgreen:

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:12 am

It's now City Central Hotel.

When I owned my blind business, I uses to service their blinds there regularly, and they were slow payers - that's why I remember them!

I remember the DB Tavern in the 60s/70s for other reasons of course. Up the road on the corner with Victoria Street used to be the Royal International, a great spot to get a gig if you had the chops. We played there from time to time when the resident band could not make it.

My group slummed it and played at De Bretts where all the poofters hung out. It was a well paying gig though as no other bands wanted to play there. That was late 60's/early 70s.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:21 pm

In the early to mid 90s I used to play Wed nights at De Bretts. The place used to get a good crowd... the in-house hookers and their wealthy businessmen clients.... :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember the weekend resident band included Taisha and Billy Karaitiana's son.