BadAss Bass II bridge

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
aldous_zodiac

BadAss Bass II bridge

Post by aldous_zodiac » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:58 am

Hi:

I wonder if anyone could offer any advice on upgrading my Fender Jazz bridge to a BadAss Bass II. The write ups/reviews look positive, and it does not appear to be either too expensive to purchase nor complex to install (plus, the standard Fender bridge looks cheap and nasty, and I'd be glad to see the back of it).

However:

* Will there be a tonal difference if I do upgrade?
* Who stocks/sells them in NZ/Australia (I tried the Rockshop here in Wellington, and they neither stock nor can suggest a supplier in NZ)?

Cheers
Tony

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:53 pm

I am not sure why the RS no longer stocks this item. I think it's been 5 years since they carried items from this company (Leo Quan).

I imported mine from Bass Center London in April 1999 chrome model 50pounds was the bill.
the black one is cheaper(?) and the gold dearer(?)

They are good, well sturdy like, heavy built. Certainly appear more man-size than the stock Fender. I think the springs are better and also less chance for disaster with the individual saddles which in my experience are prone to slippage, screw wear/thread and sharpening. (palm mute,aarggh!)

Badass screw holes are mapped to same as Fender so you don't drill your beloved and one day collectable instrument.

as far as a straight A/B , I can't do sorry, I've put Badass on custom instruments not on my Fenders, but I would reccomend these as replacement bridge anyway, I think they add good body to "long notes" and while they do add to the weight of the Bass its-self , mass and sustain is a desireable tone thing.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:03 pm

I think http://www.guitarparts.co.nz do them.

I had one once, was better than the stock one but I think they arent worth the money. Plus you need to file your own saddles.

Guitarparts do a $50 bridge that is a great replacement for the standard Fender one.

aldous_zodiac

Post by aldous_zodiac » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:56 am

Thanks to both of you for responding. I hear what you are saying with respect to aesthetics, it does look like a beast! I think I will go for it, and I really appreciate the guitarparts.co.nz URL.

Oh, and the note re: saddle filing - I had missed that and this will thus add to the cost, since I don't believe I would have the equipment or skills to do that (well, definitely not the skill!).

Cheers
Tony

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:08 am

I didn't realise that when I bought mine, so I took it to Weta and they did a great job as usual. Then I sold the bass about two weeks later......

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:33 pm

yeah so hang on to the original bridge for re-sale if you get GAS

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Re: BadAss Bass II bridge

Post by manofthematch » Fri May 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Just for the record folks,
I got word from a reputable bass shop in the US that Leo Quan Badass II bass bridges are no longer in manufacture. Sadly Mr Quan passed away a while ago and there's been a long standing legal wrangle ever since (to try and get them back in production). You can still,get them, albeit over priced on eBay from time to time.

I just bought one this week and while I'm looking forward to it, it was a pretty penny to buy.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification