First bass build

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
6878dodge

First bass build

Post by 6878dodge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi guys, I just thought I'd share my project with you & maybe get some feed back & ideas from y'all
I have wanted to build a bass for ages & now that I'm actually playing I figured now would be a good time.. I thought of copying a Rickenbacker 4001 but I want to own a real one one day so I decided on a Gibson Victory body shape.. I had my brother laminate a body from Birdseye maple & I bought a 21 fret Eden paddle neck off ebay also maple with maple finger board & black block inlays (not sure what thier reputation is like but it seems to be pretty well made, I can always change it later if it turns out to be crap) I shaped the head stock & drilled the holes for the old twisty grover machine heads that I picked up cheap, I was thinking of getting a Hipshot 'A' string through bridge, my main deilema is what pickups to use, I already have a Squier VM Jaguar & an old Shiro both with PJ pickups so really want something else, I was thinking either 3 J pickups but not sure about wiring etc or maybe some old Gretch / Ric / Peavey style chromies. this is still a relatively buget build up so if anyone can offer some ideas I'd be very appreciative.. cheers.
Attachments
my bass.jpg
Last edited by 6878dodge on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john
Gold Member

Re: First bass build

Post by john » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 am

Looking really nice man.
What about a music man style humbucker?
If you are on a budget these Pick ups seem pretty cheap http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass ... conomy.htm

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 am

Yup that looks really good. Headstock shape compliments the body well. 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 pm

john wrote:Looking really nice man.
What about a music man style humbucker?
If you are on a budget these Pick ups seem pretty cheap http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass ... conomy.htm
Thanks man, I just checked out the pickups, I guess what I'd really like to know is what's the difference between a pickup with say 18K resistance & a 8k? I have been looking at different ones but it's not easy when I don't know their characteristics. also it's a look, while it's not a Gibson Victory I'm trying not to stray too far from the path.

beagle wrote:Yup that looks really good. Headstock shape compliments the body well. 8)
thank you, it's always good to get get a bit of positive feedback from people who know their stuff :D , it's kind of a mixture of a Ric and a Gibson, I wanted to have the 2+2 tuners unlike the thunderbird style headstock, originally I had drawn it with a Ric style hook but decided simple is better. my brother put some Tongue oil on the body before sending it over so that's why the neck is lighter, eventually they should be more similar, also I may glue the neck on once it's all set up & I'm happy with it.. what is the best coating to put on the neck? I know it's quite important

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:22 pm

a bit more progress on my bass...
I bought a set of Fender American Special jazz pickups & pots for a good price off ebay and a Genuine Gibson Victory bridge which I recieved yesterday, I mounted it with longer screws & now I can figure out the location of the neck & rout the relief for it & the pickups. I will get a DeMarzio DP120 or similar to go where the ipod is. then I have to sort out the wiring & which pots & switches to get.
Attachments
IMGP4840 - Copy.JPG

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 pm

So, I discovered the neck I bought decided to do the twist, I guess you get what you pay for eh, I could probably straighten it but I decided to get another one more in the style of the body (Gibson Victory) I couldn't find an original Gibson neck, the closest one I could find was an Epiphone Thunderbird bass neck. I received it yesterday, it's used but in good condition, nice & straight too which is a good thing for sure but I"m going to have to modify the headstock a bit to take the grover tuners which I really like. it would seem that the epiphone ones are quite small. I also recieved my DiMarzio pick up so I mocked it up again & took a pic for you to see. I also decided that 6 knobs are just too many (simple is best) so I wont be having any tone pots, the pickups will dictate the tone.
Attachments
myvictory.jpg

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:37 pm

heres a couple of pics of a bit more progress on my "victory"...
Attachments
IMGP5523 - Copy.JPG
IMGP5527 - Copy.JPG

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Still got a bit of finishing work to do but it's basically together, I think it's a good result, after adjusting truss rod, string heights, pickup heights & intonation it sounds really good IMO, just haven't quite got the wiring right, the humbucker fades out a bit when I turn the volume of the single coils up, does anyone have any ideas about this? was thinking maybe the singles are out of phase with the humbucker? anyway, for those of you who are intrested, these are the parts I used...

Body- (in style of Gibson Victory) laminated and shaped by my Brother in Arizona from Birdseye maple. routed by me.
Neck- Epiphone Thunderbird, sanded back to timber, clear coated & sanded back, headstock modified to take Grover tuners.
Tuners- Grovers (cool old twisty style), from old B C Rich 2x2 (2 reversed)
Bridge- Original Gibson Victory bass. multi adjustable (made by Schaller I believe)
Bridge pickup- j style from old Shiro bass 8.5 ohms.
Mid pickup- jazz from 2011 fender MIA jazz special 7.9 ohms
Neck pickup- old DiMarzio humbucker (DP 120?)
Pots- CTS 500k linear taper x3 volume (no tone)
Knobs- repro Gibson.
Schaller nickle straplocks.
Neck plate- aircraft grade aluminium, made by me.
6x neck machine screws & inserts.
Gibson Thunderbird truss rod cover.

Just did a quick add up of costs, not counting my time etc, this cost me... $447.
Attachments
IMGP5559 - Copy (2).jpg
IMGP5565 - Copy (2).jpg

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:36 am

Looking great.
I have the same tuners too

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi John, thanks mate, do you have a B.C. Rich? or something else with the same tuners? they are pretty solid things eh

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Na, they are on a Daion. Real solid. And they look cool

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Daion? I have never heard of one... sounds cool! I'll google it right now haha! I have had trouble finding some really small screws to suit the tuners, any idea where I might be able to find some?

I just reversed the polarity on the j pick ups & that was the problem alright, no more dulling out... yay! sounds great! haha.

6878dodge

Post by 6878dodge » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Wow, some of those Daion basses and guitars look like real works of art... Beautiful! and old too... very nice indeed!