P/J pickup replacement

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
StraitjacketJames
Bronze Member

P/J pickup replacement

Post by StraitjacketJames » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Hey again guys. My bass's pickups are the bog standard Cort ones it came with. I'm thinking of upgrading them in the future. Originally, I was gonna change the preamp too, but it is a convulted mass of wires that I would rather not muck with. Two questions. If I take out the stock pickups, can I just solder the new pickups to the old wiring? And also: Should I go with some cheap(er) Gotoh pickups, or for some Seymour Duncans? If the Seymour Duncans, then what is the difference in tone between their Hot pickups, and Quarter Pound pickups?
Thanks

Harley
Gold Member

Re: P/J pickup replacement

Post by Harley » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:22 pm

StraitjacketJames wrote:Hey again guys. My bass's pickups are the bog standard Cort ones it came with..... Should I go with some cheap(er) Gotoh pickups, or for some Seymour Duncans?
I am not sure why you'd want to change the std Cort pickups for cheap Gotohs. Corts actually have good sounding pickups compared to a lot of other 'cost effective' basses. To my mind, you'd be ending up with something worse than what you have already.

As for Seymour Duncans, they would not be my choice either but that's a matter of taste. If it were me I'd be buying Nordstrands, but then again I'm not on any sort of a budget.
StraitjacketJames wrote:If I take out the stock pickups, can I just solder the new pickups to the old wiring?
It will depend on the pickup/s you buy and the existing EQ.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue May 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Unplug the bass and play it, does it have a good sound acoustically? Do you really like the feel of the bass?

What I'm getting at is ask yourself if it's worth modding this bass or if it's better to put that money into an upgrade.

StraitjacketJames
Bronze Member

Post by StraitjacketJames » Tue May 01, 2012 7:14 pm

I've had this bass for a while, and the only thing that I don't really like is when it's plugged in. The E string is very loud, and the other 3 are very thin sounding, very unbalanced. Playing with the EQ mix and volume didn't really help, either.

JonoSkip

Post by JonoSkip » Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 am

What Cort bass is it and what amp are you using? I've got a Cort Action A, bought it new to learn on, nothing special, but I think it's a good bass for the money to start with. Two and a half years on I'm still learning :D
StraitjacketJames wrote:The E string is very loud, and the other 3 are very thin sounding, very unbalanced. Playing with the EQ mix and volume didn't really help, either.
Through my 15W combo amp I was never happy with my bass; too much top end and always sounded uneven across the strings. Just played it unplugged ecept when jamming with a friend.

With my new rig, I'm still getting used to it but I'm cutting the bass and the treble. Plenty of people on Talkbass doing this to tame the Streamliner also. I also just realised that I always had both P & J pickups on and have started using just the P to tame the highs (have I got that right?). The Jacks also play a part in there too, rising in the mids.

Just saying, maybe a lot of things contributing to the overall tone. My $0.02.
2x BFM Jack 112 (DIY), Cort Action A, GenzBenz Streamliner 600.

StraitjacketJames
Bronze Member

Post by StraitjacketJames » Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 am

Just the standard one: http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/action-a

Although I might get EMG active P, and LJ pickups, sounds better than messing with wiring and such. I'm no electrician :lol: