BYO: Build your own?

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
john
Gold Member

Re: BYO: Build your own?

Post by john » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:53 am

thanks, good to know as after reading what you and others said about flat wounds, im going to try some out on my fretless, thinking of going a bit heavier too so ill check the intonation . didnt even think about checking after you change strings. cheers

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:38 am

Flats = Fretless = Perfect Match!! :D

If you're not used to the flats sound - it might take a little while for you to fall in love with them. I loved them instantly, but being an ancient phart as I am, I 'knew' the sound already. :lol:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:22 am

yes we will see. hope i like it . too late to save the rosewood though

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:16 am

Jazzbass wrote:you need to readjust your bridge for intonation if, for instance, you change string gauges or sometimes even with different string brands.
Wow... that's a new one. You must be talking about very fine degrees of variation here Rog?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:44 am

Absolutely, mate! One reason I'm so fussy about it is that I tend to use the whole fretboard when I'm playing. I know many people who never venture past the 9th fret, but to me - there's all sorts of cool riffs to be extracted up high on the neck. Thus it has to be right. Don't forget my musical love is '50s through '70s, and I'm of an era where bass solos were normal, so the neck must be accurate.

I really have found a variation in intonation between different makes of strings. I recheck/reset everytime I change strings.

But when I change gauges, I normally have to tweak my truss rod, as I'm a stickler about where my action should be (as low as possible) and I adjust truss rod and bridge as a unit, which means I'm adjusting intonation. For those who are new to this game - check your intonation when you adjust your bridge - it really does alter!!

If people aren't as fussy as this old geezer is with their action, then there'd be less of a reason to worry about checking their intonation.

Mate, at my age, I need all the help I can get just to stay in tune ~ 'cos the ears are becoming less reliable! :lol:

garethredington

Post by garethredington » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:21 pm

hey

check out mimf.com theres stacks of info about building on there

DV6
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/mabas
Bands / Groups: Killstar, Prozaq Nation, Percecution Revamp

Post by DV6 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Also check out http://www.warmoth.com, they sell top quality bodys and necks.
Custom Kidds "Dragon" 12 string and pair o' Gibsons, Thunderbird -n- Blackbird.

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:57 pm

DV6 wrote:Also check out http://www.warmoth.com, they sell top quality bodys and necks.
Thanks for the heads up. My project is now underway. The body arrived through UPS last night. I settled on a Warmoth "dinky" P Bass. Now it's time to go neck shopping!

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Awesome Cory! Would you mind posting up photos along the way so we can see what you do? 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:03 pm

auckland libraries have the book - 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar and Bass'- by Dennis Waring and David Raymond.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:21 pm

I did a custom P Bass once.

Used a neck from USA Custom Guitars, which is a company made from ex Warmoth employees who were pissed off at Warmoth for some reason. They talked me into getting a Jazz bass neck though. I got the body locally from Weta Guitars who also put it together, and I used Fender "Vintage series" P bass pickups.

Stupidly I got an alder body and a jazz neck, so I never really liked the bass that much. A friend of mine loved it though so he bought it and still has it 4 years later.

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:49 am

I will most definatly be putting up pictures. But I have come to an impass. It was my original intention to paint this bass and have a design airbrushed on. But the wood is just far too beautiful. I just can't bring myself to cover it. I saw a finish that I find quite appealing (see attached picture). I know very little about wood finishing. Anyone have any ideas?
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (13.59 KiB) Viewed 2868 times

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:36 pm

cant help with the finish , but i think its a good idea. an air brushed image you might get sick of after time. and happy birthday too :P
are you in the 30-39 age group yet!

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks John. Very observant of you. No I only clock in at a ripe old 23. But some mornings I feel like a 40 year old.

joppo

Post by joppo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Cory - when I did a bit of woodwork (a few years ago now), we used a mixture of beeswax and a solvent (turps I think, but will try to find out and post it) on things that had been made on a lathe. It made a really warm finish that wasn't glossy, shows the wood detail superbly, doesn't scratch like varnish does and doesn't need re-oiling like oiling does. I have no idea on whether that would work on your bass, but it gives a finish like the photo.