2 Bass bodies to strip,prep and paint.Advice please.

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

2 Bass bodies to strip,prep and paint.Advice please.

Post by pins » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:30 pm

I used my Red Squier P/J at a gig on friday and it gave me lots of grief with a dodgy jack or pot. Ruined the experience using some micro SWR head and what looked like an Ampeg 410 cab which sounded awesome when I did have a signal from the bass.
So that was it's death sentence,I hate the colour to start with but have poured quite a few bucks and mods into it and it plays and sounds great so the colour was overlooked until now.

I ruthlessly stripped it to bits saturday,and intend refinishing the body in a colour I can enjoy looking at. But I have a guinea pig ( we do its called Rango and wanders our fenced property ,so far the dog hasn't eaten it,Yet :lol: ) guinea pig bass body that is, to practice with,my black MIM Jazz body.

I spent some time on the weekend buying up some tools and stripped all the finish off the jazz using a heat gun.
Now I need some type of "wood filler" to repair all the abuse I gave this bass over 10 years.

Here are some pics,there are more in my photobucket page.You will see I have filler but I don't think it's the right stuff,so any suggestions welcome,oh and what I should do with some of the splits in the body ? :D

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Re: 2 Bass bodies to strip,prep and paint.Advice please.

Post by pins » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:29 pm

also have asked a few questions on TB forums but lots of US products mentioned are not available readily here. Plus watched lots of "how to" videos,but nothing like local knowledge and I know some here on BPNZ have the hands on experience :D

it has a veneer top I'm told ? anyway more sanding and more sanding....at least it might end up lighter even if it looks crap !

couple more from this evening after some sanding....I am enjoying it even though woodworking has never been a forte of mine.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:15 am

Open the split up with a file, disc grinder or jack hammer, maybe a pneumatic drill, and fill it with bog.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:51 am

Cheers Marty :D I will crank out the heavy artillery then.
So automotive bog is ok rather than a wood filler for all the repairs ???

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:55 pm

I've used it before with good results. A lot of Chinese bodies have it under their paint. Just treat it like a car body repair.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Ok cheers Marty,and obviously it can be applied to bare wood ?

I also don't know whether to prime the body then repair,or repair then prime or a combination of both ? Spray putty has also been mentioned as a final filler ?
I really don't know what I'm doing obviously but keen to learn :lol:

any more suggestions really appreciated.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:58 pm

The Jazz body donor neck that was originally on the red P/J body.

I started on the red P/J body.

Scoring the new clamp has enabled me to keep the heat gun in front of the scraper as I go. All this came off a half a beer and one fag later.