DIY Effects

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
joppo

Re: diy effects

Post by joppo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:13 pm

Ha! Or here is a challenge - what effects can you get into an Eclipse Mint tin? :mrgreen:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:01 pm

:lol: some thing to think about

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 am

Just picked up a guitar distortion kit from Jaycar. My only issue with it is the 12v power. I really don't have a clue how to power it (To be honest I am still trying to figure out what some of the little bits in the box are, this isn't my field of expertise). Would 4 AA batteries power it?

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:16 am

AA batteries are 1.5V, so 4 x 1.5 = 6V. Get yourself a 12VDC power adaptor from Jaycar, I bought one there on Saturday, $21. It's a bit of a pain that it runs on 12V, when everything else you've got will probably run off 9V. It probably uses the higher voltage to get more gain.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 am

cool guys. i built that pedal. its quite a synthy sounding dist effect with no loss of low end which is a plus for bass. i just plugged in a 9 v adapter into mine and i couldn't hear any difference.
i swapped the trim pots for normal pots in mine and true bypassed it , it seemed to have tone suck on clean.
i also added a foot switch .
if you build it and like it i can tell you how to do that if you want.

oh and did you buy the instructions for it ? you have to get that separate . $3 .
that maybe the reason you don't know what some of the little bits are

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:52 am

Yeah I did buy the instructions. I thought it was a little bit odd having to buy them seperately.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:55 am

its because they sell a book for beginners electronics with lot of projects and your just doing one of the projects from that book.
when are you going to solder it up?

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:30 pm

I am thinking about giving it a crack this afternoon. You serious about the 9v power? That would make it alot more practical.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:40 pm

would i lie to you...?
let us know how you get on, or if you have any questions.
remember to heat component wire and the tract on the board before you ad solder . or things could get messy

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:47 pm

how did you get on Cory?

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:22 am

It's all soldered together. I haven't had a chance to pick up a power supply yet. As soon as soon as I do you will be the first to know.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:10 pm

hey if you haven't got a power supply you may want to look into thishttp://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... View/M9927
its what i use on mine. you can choose the volts you want to use

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:00 pm

For those who are interested, Jaycar now stock the 3 pole version of the heavy duty footswitch, so you can do true bypass and turn the LED on and off with the one switch. It's $11.50 according to their website.

www.guitarpedals.co.nz are now stocking the Build Your Own Clone range of pedals. These are a great way to get started if you have never built your own effects before coz you get the box all drilled, a good quality PCB so soldering is a piece of cake and really good build and troubleshooting instructions. And the best part is they are awesome sounding too!
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:36 pm

good eh
yep i just got four of them switches the other day.
1 resistor and a LED. It's a lot easier then the way i have been doing it ... (rat led circuit ) with the two poll switch

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Post by mjwhit » Fri May 01, 2009 8:33 pm

john wrote: yeah jaycar is cool but they dont have 3dtp switches so no leds for me

Uum... Dont mean to be rude but thats not true. You can wire a dpdt switch to incorporate LED with true bypass. Google milllenium bypass. The easiest circuit to make, uses only 4 components. The circuit is fits on a board about the size of my thumbnail. I use the 2n5485 as the transisitor. Works a dream. If you dont 5 mins extra work then its way cheaper. Those suckers are like 15 bucks a pop.

EDIT.-Doh, just read previous post. :roll: