cab building...

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: cab building...

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Yeah I thought so... 30mm sounded really thick. I'd build one in 30mm...if I had a roadie and a horsewhip ;-)
18mm sounds about a good thickness.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Bill Fitzmaurice
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Audio Engineering Society

Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 am

A well designed cab need not use more than 12mm plywood. Pound for pound cross-bracing is four times as effective as using thicker materials in controlling vibration of cabinet walls. Manufacturers use 18mm because the cost of labor to install proper bracing is higher than the cost of using thicker wood, and they don't have to haul your cabs from the curb to the stage and back again. :wink:

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:39 am

Bill's absolutely right, well he should be, he's the expert IMO.

Another factor to consider however is the quality of the wood being used. If you can get hold of good quality Baltic birch 12mm ply and use it in a well-designed cab it will be virtually bomb proof. Cheaper ply's are typically full of voids and once you've obtained and worked with the 'real thing' you won't want to work with anything else.

Here are a couple of 'in progress' shots of two of my own builds where you can see how the internal bracing really adds strength:

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:40 am

If I only had a stack of 30 mm ply I would probably use it but as an ex-aircraft engineer I would have to route 50% of the material out the panels where it was not needed.

As Bill has arrived out of cyber space I should add the Omni uses 8x4 ply sheet really efficiently and that makes me strangely happy!

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:A well designed cab need not use more than 12mm plywood. Pound for pound cross-bracing is four times as effective as using thicker materials in controlling vibration of cabinet walls. Manufacturers use 18mm because the cost of labor to install proper bracing is higher than the cost of using thicker wood, and they don't have to haul your cabs from the curb to the stage and back again. :wink:
Great hearing it from the man himself!
Those cabinets do look very solid BigBoris.

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:09 am

As it happens I am just running up the facilities to build a second Omni 10.5.

Have now produced some bits for the cab

It is so wet over here right now that I think the cab panels will be warped all over the place. I have few more bits of wood to cut then the nerve racking gluing up process starts.

I think Boris's cabs look bigger than they really are - the Eminence Beta 10" powered cabs are not that heavy and they project a remarkable bass sound for their size and weight, although they are not dub reggae cabs.

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 am

Beyond wrote:I think Boris's cabs look bigger than they really are - the Eminence Beta 10" powered cabs are not that heavy and they project a remarkable bass sound for their size and weight, although they are not dub reggae cabs.
Beyond is entirely correct....

Here is another photo with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier as a yardstick :D

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:06 am

Here in the UK dogs are frequently used to size bass cabs - the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a relatively easy to carry size - in this picture you can see me preparing to measure a larger more substantialy built cab best used if you have a road crew or access to spinal injury therapy - aka golden retriever size

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:07 am

Beyond wrote:the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a relatively easy to carry size
I'd like to see you try!!!!

The barsteward's made of solid lead or something, he's about 70lbs, try tucking that under your arm :D

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:18 am

Anyway here's a bit more progress

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:40 pm

I've always used a tape measure in the past... but I think I've found a new use for the cat.
Yeah they look quite compact huh. I'd be keen as to get into building one of those if I had more spare time.
Thats looking really tidy beyond 8)
Are you divorced by chance? I would if I built a cab on the kitchen bench ;-)

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:58 am

Actually it's our 'utility room' (or as my Dad would say 'Futility room') and Mrs B was away at the time - could in trouble if she sees the pic though!

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:39 am

slow progress but at least some progress - I never seem to be able to build cabs at the same rate as some builders but I usually get there in the end

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Looks like you're doing a really nice job 8)

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:02 am

Cab building can be very absorbing - I was so absorbed in fact I out one of the handle cut outs in the wrong place - sorted that but it was a bit of a pain. On to the fiddly bits now.