cab building...

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
BigBoris
Bronze Member

Re: cab building...

Post by BigBoris » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:28 am

Just my opinion...

30mm ply is total overkill for the average, well-designed, bass cab. I've built three BFM cabs now using 12mm ply with appropriate bracing and they are utterly bomb-proof.

I personally believe it is important to source good quality ply as some of the sh1t you find in builder's merchants is only fit for rabbit hutches, but I guess that's all it's originally intended for :D

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:08 am

BigBoris wrote:30mm ply is total overkill for the average, well-designed, bass cab.
Absolutely !
BigBoris wrote: I've built three BFM cabs now using 12mm ply with appropriate bracing and they are utterly bomb-proof.
There are a couple of guys on the BFM forum who have had the misfortune of dropping their BFM cabs off the back of their pick-up trucks and in each instance, apart from bumps and scrapes, these cabs performed without a hitch straight after....no major damage whatsoever and one was dropped at about 85kph :shock:

This proves that brain beats brawn when it comes to cab design, clever bracing and material utilisation.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:28 am

Finished - yet to road test at full volume but I already know it is rather loud!

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:19 am

Hey they look great beyond! Nice work 8)
What speakers did you put in them?
I gather each cab is 8ohms?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 am

The speakers are eminence Beta 10's @ 8 ohms each, heavier than neo speakers but not heavy. The cabs are very clear and loud, they might not be to everybody's taste but I want to see what they are like in a band context as I think they will cut through pretty well.

I recently tried and Aguilar 1x12 cab which was a very nice sounding cab played solo but I have been seduced by that in th past to find out it 'disappeared' with the rest of the band playing. Full band rehearsal tomorrow night.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:13 am

Yeah good point regarding playing in a group situation.
Let us know how it goes.
Have you weighed a cabinet yet?

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:31 am

I finally managed to have a go with my Genz Benz Shuttle through a pair of Omni 10.5's recently.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:33 am

And?

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:35 am

Well I tested them out tonight and they were loud - left my amp on it's normal setting for a rehearsal when I switched on and had to turn it down straight away.

The sound is different to most cabs, generally speaking I think it has good bass response for two ten inch speakers, there is a prominent mid range and the hi frequency units do what they are supposed to. I would not say that there is a lot of warmth to the tone, and if you wanted that, you probably need to go for one of the bigger BFM cabs.

Are they capable of filling a good sized venue with bass - I would say yes, but not the sort that loosens yours stomach contents.

They are quite compact and easy to carry in singles - have not weighed them yet.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Cheers Beyond... So is that the sort of result you expected / were hoping to get?

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:42 pm

Beyond wrote:The sound is different to most cabs, generally speaking I think it has good bass response for two ten inch speakers, there is a prominent mid range and the hi frequency units do what they are supposed to. I would not say that there is a lot of warmth to the tone.....
Have you broken the drivers in prior to mounting in the cabs? - if not wait until you've used these for about 24 - 36 hrs and then let us know about the tone ( the 'breaking in' of drivers is discussed on the forums of www.billfitzmaurice.com )

Don't take this as criticism, but if you had loaded the O10.5's with Eminence Deltalite II 2510's, you'd have definitely noticed more warmth and a bit more bottom.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:04 am

Hi Harley

The first cab has been lightly used for about a year now, the second cab is pretty 'fresh'. I have heard the dicussions on the bedding in process on finbass but I could not be bothered to do the bedding in thing. I think I can just about hear a difference between them. I will be running them in 'organically'.

In terms of what I expected I suppose yes - but they need a bit more road testing at gigs.

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:14 am

If it's well braced internally 12mm ply is fine. I have built three cabs using 12mm Baltic birch and I reckon they are virtually bomb proof IMO.

It is important to use a good quality ply though. Generally, you wont find that down at your local DIY superstore, unfortunately.

Baltic birch generally comes from Finland or Russia and is superb quality with no voids and is a joy to work with.

It may be called something slightly different at your end of the world however :D

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm

beagle wrote:And?
Very articulate mid range, reminded me of the same difference when I first compared a Hartke 4.5xl to a paper coned equivalent but just 'more'. The B string sucked quite a bit though, but there again it WAS a single 10" driver.

I wouldn't be inclined to use an Omni 10 or 10.5 by itself with a 5 string, it would definitely need a sub woofer. I'm interested to know what the low end of the 2x10 version would sound like.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:26 pm

Crazykiwi wrote:I wouldn't be inclined to use an Omni 10 or 10.5 by itself with a 5 string, it would definitely need a sub woofer. I'm interested to know what the low end of the 2x10 version would sound like.
I play 5 str

I have both the Omni10 and Omni 10.5 ( wide version )

I disagree about the need for a sub-woofer for the Omni 10 - the O10.5 perhaps, but then again if it were a gig needing to have a sub under my O10.5, I'd take the DR250/T39 for that matter.

I have used the Omni 10 for both on stage monitor and back-line.

The thing that intrigues me most is that some bass players go by what they feel is "plenty of bottom" about 3 feet from where they are playing and therefore never bother to find out how crap that sounds front of house!

It's not good sense in my mind to ignore those who are paying you to play - your audience!