Singing Wood - Ian Davie

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
User avatar
john
Gold Member
Posts: 2307
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 5:10 pm
Location: wellington

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by john » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:26 pm

indeed! i asked for it . i hang my head in shame .

foal30
Gold Member
Posts: 1749
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:36 pm
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones
Location: Chch

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by foal30 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 am

how is this project going CK?

User avatar
Crazykiwi
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:13 am

Unfortunately Ian decided to pull out of the project after we had discussions about the body shape, so the project's been shelved.

Having said that, my dad's having a bit of a hunt for some quilted red beech around South Island sources. Does anyone here know of a reliable source of figured native woods?
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

foal30
Gold Member
Posts: 1749
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:36 pm
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones
Location: Chch

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by foal30 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:00 pm

I can look into this but as I am sure you are aware there is issues around harvesting/use of.
I'm guessing your parents are still in NZ?

User avatar
joppo
Moderator
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Dunedin

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by joppo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey Crazykiwi.

Very sorry to hear that your project has fallen over. I don't know Ian, but there is another custom builder in Dunedin (check out http://www.stevebarkman.com) who I do know. I've looked through his photo album of builds and I know he has built a few out of NZ natives. He might be a good source of information about sourcing the wood you are after, and may even be an option for building it. Steve's contact details are on the website. He works in a shop half a block from my office 3 days a week if you want me to check out your wood question for you.

User avatar
Crazykiwi
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:55 pm

foal30 wrote:I can look into this but as I am sure you are aware there is issues around harvesting/use of.
I'm guessing your parents are still in NZ?
In Halswell to be precise :) So we can cross the Halswell Timber Merchant off the list. I've also been into the Arts Centre myself and been given the details of one of the turners who uses red beech a lot (I have a small collection of turned NZ native timber bowls and dishes) but he never replied. In an ideal world it would be great to find some recycled timber, something that had had another life.
joppo wrote:Very sorry to hear that your project has fallen over. I don't know Ian, but there is another custom builder in Dunedin (check out http://www.stevebarkman.com) who I do know. I've looked through his photo album of builds and I know he has built a few out of NZ natives. He might be a good source of information about sourcing the wood you are after, and may even be an option for building it. Steve's contact details are on the website. He works in a shop half a block from my office 3 days a week if you want me to check out your wood question for you.
That would be really kind of you, if you have some spare time in a lunch hour. I'm just interested to know whether the wood I have seen is gathered opportunistically or not. I have friends in Te Anau who have this house with a red beech floor in the kitchen and most of it is quilted!! Its a bit mucky now but must have looked stunning when first laid down.
Last edited by Crazykiwi on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

User avatar
joppo
Moderator
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Dunedin

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by joppo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Steve works Monday to Wednesday, so I've missed him this week. Will try to remember to go see him on Monday for you.

User avatar
joppo
Moderator
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Dunedin

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by joppo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:06 pm

Crazykiwi wrote:That would be really kind of you, if you have some spare time in a lunch hour. I'm just interested to know whether the wood I have seen is gathered opportunistically or not. I have friends in Te Anau who have this house with a red beech floor in the kitchen and most of it is quilted!! Its a bit mucky now but must have looked stunning when first laid down.
Sent you a PM

User avatar
Crazykiwi
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:49 pm

thanks Neville :)
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

Post Reply