Singing Wood - Ian Davie

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by Crazykiwi » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:17 pm

FWIW, I've just commissioned a 36" scale fretless 6 string bass made completely from NZ native woods. The bloke who is making it is based in Port Chalmers near Dunedin and usually makes acoustic guitars. The price he quoted me was pretty bloody good for a hand made custom instrument!

I've asked him for the following spec:

6 string
36" scale
fretless
laminated neck
bright sounding but resonant
inspired by the Fodera Beez Elite single cut shape (but may not necessarily be a direct copy)
semi hollow body
All NZ native timber
Creative Theme : love of the NZ landscape
His trademark is at least one or more inlaid leaves around the instruments he produces.

http://www.singingwood.co.nz

So far he's laminated up the neck and left it to rest for a few months so the tensions in the wood sort themselves out. The neck has been made from a combination of kowhai, silver beech and kohekohe. Its unlikely the instrument will be finished until after Christmas, but I'm cool with that. I'm in no hurry.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: Singing Wood - Ian Davie

Post by beagle » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Wow that will be really interesting. Prices look very resonable for handmade customs.
Have you met this previously or are you going off reputation? I gather you're still in the UK.
Will be a great instrument for the collection dude. 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:28 pm

its very much a leap of faith, and I think he appreciates the risk I'm taking as well. We exchanged a flurry of emails about shape, neck dimensions etc. prior to him settling on the combination he did for the woods. Apparently the kowhai is from an old fencepost! I'll pick it up when I'm back in NZ next probably.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:32 pm

an old fencepost!!!! classic :lol:
doesn't get more nZ than that ;-)
I look forward to hearing how it progresses... is he going to send pics of it during construction?

joppo

Post by joppo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:37 pm

It will be well seasoned if it has been a fence post out at Port Chalmers!

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 pm

beagle wrote:an old fencepost!!!! classic :lol:
doesn't get more nZ than that ;-)
I look forward to hearing how it progresses... is he going to send pics of it during construction?
He says he will but I haven't received anything yet. I've asked him for a body shape inspired by the Fodera Beez Elite! :) I also asked him if he could make the whole bass from recycled wood as well, I thought that would be very poetic but I didn't get any reaction from him to that.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:46 pm

joppo wrote:It will be well seasoned if it has been a fence post out at Port Chalmers!
Hopefully free of wildlife too! :)

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:10 am

Can't think that having a few creepy crawlies would have a negative tone effect, if anything it'd make it better.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:47 am

Pstewart wrote:Can't think that having a few creepy crawlies would have a negative tone effect, if anything it'd make it better.
Well f*** it, lets bung a couple of albatross in there too.

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:46 am

:lol: I believe you will find that the Yellow-eyed peguin has a less bright and more vintage tone than an Albatros :roll:

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:52 am

I can see this post going down hill fast :lol:

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:09 pm

joppo wrote::lol: I believe you will find that the Yellow-eyed peguin has a less bright and more vintage tone than an Albatros :roll:
How would I tune them?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:20 pm

with a tuna :mrgreen:
tuna_feeds.jpg

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:21 pm

I gave that one to you in a basket, son. ;)

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:07 pm

john wrote:with a tuna :mrgreen:
tuna_feeds.jpg
-1!
Boo get off the stage!