NAMM Photos of Ampeg Gear ...

For BassPlayer.co.nz sponsoring businesses to advertise anything music related. New products, specials etc. Only businesses can start topics here.
NZRS-Dave
Bronze Member

NAMM Photos of Ampeg Gear ...

Post by NZRS-Dave » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:52 am

Hi all,

Thought you might like to see some bass related pics from NAMM.

Those of you with a NZG login will have seen this already ... but for those of you that haven't ... Matt Walsham is one Guitar Products Manager and he is over there ... he snapped some pics of the new handwired (!) Ampeg series

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 75#p424514

If you can't see that, you might need to get a log in.

Cheers Dave

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Re: NAMM Photos of Ampeg Gear ...

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:27 am

Handwired = Pricy!

Any photos of new Mesa gear to come soon?
A-boom boom boom boom!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:46 am

Shame the handwired SVT is a CL rather than a VR... Can't imagine them selling too many outside of the US for obvious reasons. New fliptop looks cool, would love to try it out but I've heard they are reeeeealy expensive.

Did you get to hear the new Portaflex stuff Dave? Never heard a solid state Ampeg that really nailed it...

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:39 pm

US street price of the B15 is twice as much as an SVT-VR, which would make it over $10000 here?

Ouch!

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Handwired = a load of marketing bollocks.
PCBs are the shizz.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

NZRS-Dave
Bronze Member

Post by NZRS-Dave » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 pm

sonicfantom wrote:Handwired = Pricy!

Any photos of new Mesa gear to come soon?
I asked Matt to send me his schedule ... as he says in that thread, whilst it's a music expo of new products ... he goes from meeting to meeting to meeting to meeting to sleep to eat to meeting etc.

However Mesa is a key brand for us so we there will be meetings there.

Matt has updated a bunch of photos on his Flickr account

MMmmm ... looks like he has been past the Mesa stand from the photos ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/handsoffma ... 818730850/

NZRS-Dave
Bronze Member

Post by NZRS-Dave » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:53 pm

ryanmaiden wrote:Handwired = a load of marketing bollocks.
PCBs are the shizz.
I thought so at first, but when you consider that people buy them because they feel that they are getting the analogue sounds of the 50's and 60's ... there is something to be said for making something like the way it was made back then.

Personally I want something that sounds like the next one in the box and has the human error taken out of it as much as possible. However, that also means that mass production issues have to be suffered.

YMMV

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm

On a practical note, it's very easy to maintain/repair hand-wired stuff, isn't it? Arguably there's less points of possible failure as well.

Darned slow internet, I'll have a look at the Mesa goodness when I go into the office tomorrow.
A-boom boom boom boom!

ryanmaiden
Silver Member

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:11 pm

NZRS-Dave wrote:I thought so at first, but when you consider that people buy them because they feel that they are getting the analogue sounds of the 50's and 60's ... there is something to be said for making something like the way it was made back then.
You make a good point - they feel like they are getting the sounds they want. Clever marketing. As long as there are people that rely on gear for tone rather than realising it's the person playing the thing that has the biggest influence on tone, there will always be a market for this stuff.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:41 pm

sonicfantom wrote:On a practical note, it's very easy to maintain/repair hand-wired stuff, isn't it? Arguably there's less points of possible failure as well.
Tag strip (usually used in these hand wired/point to point amps) can be a real pig to desolder compared to a pad on a PCB. You need a freaking good soldering iron, and if the amp manufacturer has used lead free solder, turn the heat up even more (a good tip - melt a whole lot of leaded solder onto the lead-free solder joint, it will make the lead-free solder a lot easier to deal with). If an amp manufacturer is trying to keep the retro vibe, they shouldn't use this new-fangled lead free solder anyway, somebody might think it could affect the tone!

Most hand wired circuits are less complex than modern amps, which means there is less to go wrong, so that helps. But conversely, the parts are usually under more mechanical stress in a point to point layout, as components are floating in mid-air supported only by their leads, rather than mounted flush against a PCB.