Want to try out Bill Fitzmaurice Design Cabs???

For BassPlayer.co.nz sponsoring businesses to advertise anything music related. New products, specials etc. Only businesses can start topics here.
Harley
Gold Member

Want to try out Bill Fitzmaurice Design Cabs???

Post by Harley » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:20 pm

I want to make myself absolutely clear that this post is NOT for promotional purposes and that it is purely aimed to give those who would like to try out Bill Fitzmaurice cabs ( which you won't in a music shop ) and haven't built one themselves or do not know of anyone close by who has one.

For those of you in Auckland NZ and close by, you can always call into to my workshop and try out whatever Bill Fitzmaurice cabs I have in stock or for demo purposes. Most of my cabs I get asked to build are for bass players and a majority get exported.

Remember also that there are plans available to be able to build these yourself, but I'm still happy for you to swing by with your bass head and bass guitar.

Here are some cab pics
Two DR250's for an Australian Client undergoing quality check before packing

DR250 demo cab - I think this is the first one I ever built and still have it.

DR280 - either use stand-alone or on top of a Titan39 sub with crossover when you have a stroppy keyboardist or insanely loud drummer or guitarist.

Omni10 - a very popular light but powerful cab.

Omni 12

Omni 15

OMni10.5 (mainly for upright bass, practice rooms, coffee house gigs or double up to make and versatile Omni10

Specific info can be found on http://www.billfitzmaurice.com or if need be, pm me or email me if you have specific questions.

To visit and try any of what I have on hand at the time, email me.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Beyond
Bronze Member

Re: Want to try out Bill Fitzmaurice Design Cabs???

Post by Beyond » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:35 am

Bit too far to drop in but a great offer - these cab designs are great and building yourslef is good fun snd potentially addictive!

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:14 am

Yup! Another BFM devotee here :D I have five cabs, built three myself and had an authorised UK builder (like Harley) make the other two.

They should not be considered as a budget option however, they are high-end, custom designed cabs :)

EDIT: If you want to see some videos and sound clips of various models, a couple of guys on finnbass did a comparison recently and posted their results here:

http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=2424

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:39 am

I have a couple of questions about these cabs.
They look like fancy old P.A. type designs . How come they stopped making folded/reflex (is that what it's called) for P.A. speakers?

And the DR250 looks interesting. Can you stack one on top of it? The slanted top would be good for hearing yourself without all the sound going past your legs

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:02 pm

Hey Harley.... great idea man.
I've been wondering why you hadn't done this sooner! ;-)
I've now got this down on my extensive to-do list!
Cheers 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:10 pm

They may look like old type but in fact they are the latest design by Bill Fitzmaurice.

The woofer and mid are horn loaded, but they are not folded horn like the DR series.

For the best sensitivity, the DR250's are by far the best. You can stack one on top of the other but really you'd be better off putting a sub underneath one DR250 like a Titan39 and having a proper design passive crossover - then you're talking real great bass sound that you will just never get with reflex and the DR250/T39 rig will only require something like a 1/3 of the power!

Next time I come down to Wellington on a sales trip, if I have some cabs in stock, I'll bring them down and you can try them.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Cool. I would be interested in trying some out if you bring any down here

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:20 pm

john wrote:Cool. I would be interested in trying some out if you bring any down here
What style of music do you play?

Also handy to know what bass/es you have and what amp-head.

I may be down in two to three weeks.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Harley wrote: What style of music do you play?

Also handy to know what bass/es you have and what amp-head.

I may be down in two to three weeks.
I'll be honest and let you know straight up ,I cant see me buying any gear this yeah (whats left of it ) .
But it is good to try these things for future reference when I do have some spare folding stuff.
I play In a really loud kinda heavy band , Use fuzz a lot.
But that's just this band , I have and will play in all sorts of style bands , Sooo....

My basses are two Aria Pro II ,one fretted one fretless .

I have a Jansen crusader440 head running into a Jansen 1x15 and another 1x15 I made the same as the Jansen .
The good thing about my head is it has two amps in it so I could plug in one of my cabs in one side and do a side by side test maybe

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:12 pm

john wrote:I'll be honest and let you know straight up ,I cant see me buying any gear this yeah (whats left of it )....... so I could plug in one of my cabs in one side and do a side by side test maybe
Relax - I'm not expecting orders! :mrgreen:

Promotion is my main aim, the more people who hear these cabs, the better. Like I said it will depend on what I have in stock and what I can fit in the Camry. :roll:

Hooking up two different cabs at once is a no - no. They are better A/B'd one after the other.

The main thing is that we have some fun testing them out!

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 pm

I am definitely keen to hear them. My only concern is : realistically, is it really going to compete with the high end rigs? As in would I expect to hear a big difference with my big SWR rig? Or are they a cheap alternative that sounds good?

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:53 am

Dan wrote:I am definitely keen to hear them. My only concern is : realistically, is it really going to compete with the high end rigs? As in would I expect to hear a big difference with my big SWR rig? Or are they a cheap alternative that sounds good?
"Cheap and sounding good" would mean every man and his dog would be producing them...which they aren't

There's no such thing as a free lunch, so the trade off is that if you want to "spend less money for better quality", you have to put in some of your own effort in the way of labour and machinery....or you spend more money and buy one ready made from me.

The other downside may be that because these cabs are properly sized for their duty, and not a "cram as many drivers in a small box as you the company accountant dictates" so properly sized may put some people off.

What I can personally promise through my own experience is that if you're prepared to build one yourself ( or front up with the money to buy a ready built one ) you will end up with a proper sized cab that is lightweight because of its clever construction, sounds great and takes a lot less amp power to run.

However, the definition of an expert is " a man from out of town"

So I suggest you go over to the http://www.billfitzmaurice.com forum and spend some time there answering the question for yourself by seeing what a lot of other users have to say. I know at one gig I play at, there is an SWR410 cab there belonging to another bassist. Whenever we have had major events/concerts where he has been been playing, he has preferred using my DR280 which provides much more clarity and requires 1/3 the power of his SWR cab.

As for the so called "high end" rigs, try and get an SPL chart from any of the "high end" manufacturers for their cabs. Let me know when they give you one because it will be a historic moment, but I doubt you'll ever get it....in which case you'd have to ask yourself why they never reveal it.

You are more than welcome to come and try a cab, but let me know well in advance at present because as soon as I make them, ( and I am not a huge production line ) out they go. Currently I have an Omni 10, older style Omni15, A DR280 and DR50 with a T39 sub as demos.

Finally - be warned - these cabs are crystal clear, you'll hear exactly what you play and that can be off-putting if you are used to having distortion covering up sloppy technique - not that I'm saying that will be the case for you, but I must mention it nevertheless. The best place to try them out is at a gig AND get the opinion of those in the audience, after all they are the ones paying for your playing!

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:35 am

Dan wrote:I am definitely keen to hear them.
hmm me too.... why don't we go at the same time? anyone else interested? then we could give em a real grilling! :lol: (assuming that's ok with Harley of course :wink: )
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:52 am

Well Harley, I definitely admire your salesmanship! I will make sure to check them out sometime.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:56 am

i would love to come and tag along too
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com