String changes

Maintaining, setting up or adjusting your instrument.
PvanB

String changes

Post by PvanB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:37 am

Yo all,
Is it better to change strings one at a time so you keep tension on the neck, or take the whole lot off and start with a naked neck? Usually do them one at a time and tune it up, but need to look at pickup placement and will have to take them all off this time.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Re: String changes

Post by model.citizen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:13 am

i take 'em all off at once. have done for years. never had issues with action/relief/etc by doing it. lately i don't even worry about unwinding them much, just loosen a bit and snip 'em off at the nut with a pair of pliers.

now, i wouldn't leave the strings off for a while unless i'm intending to recheck/reset everything.

and if you're transporting the instrument for any length of time (and esp. if the travel can get bumpy, or airfreighted) then loosen all the strings first so that pressure/bumps don't affect the already-tensioned neck.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:26 am

Surely one at a time is easier on the neck. That's what I've always assumed so have always changed them one at a time. Probably not a huge issue though.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 am

While I admittedly don't do string changes at all any more, I used to when I was young and unknowing. :lol:

IMO, taking them all off at once was an opportunity to clean and oil the fretboard and address any issues with the frets.
Replacing them one-by-one was what I did if I was in a hurry about it.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:46 am

I normally do one at a time unless the fretboard needs a clean. Never heard of any issues either way but I wouldn't want to leave the neck under tension without strings for any great length of time.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:13 am

beagle wrote:I normally do one at a time unless the fretboard needs a clean. Never heard of any issues either way but I wouldn't want to leave the neck under tension without strings for any great length of time.
+1 start with the E string and work my way up.
I have remind myself not to trim the string too short... I've done that twice now.

Yes. I believe that officially qualifies me as an idiot.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:22 am

BluesBass wrote:Yes. I believe that officially qualifies me as an idiot.
+1 :D

I saw an electric string winder put out by Ernie Ball a couple of months ago. Looks a bit like a drill. Bit pricey @ $50 but very tempting as it would save so much time. Actually... I'm going to get one. Will let you know how it goes.

Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:05 pm

beagle wrote: but I wouldn't want to leave the neck under tension without strings for any great length of time.
There were several of my contemporaries through the '60s/'70s, who used to take all the string tension off the neck after every gig (loosen to floppy stage). I was the opposite and kept my bass at full tension all the time. There was no perceptible difference over time IIRC.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 pm

BluesBass wrote: I have remind myself not to trim the string too short... I've done that twice now.
Done it twice myself :oops:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:03 pm

john wrote:
BluesBass wrote: I have remind myself not to trim the string too short... I've done that twice now.
Done it twice myself :oops:
n00bs :D

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Totally....And I did it within the last year...Been playing for 20 years :oops:

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:14 pm

I think everyone seems to underestimate the durability of wood and metal...necks are designed to deal with tension changes. It's not like the millions of stockpiled, mass-produced Fender/Allparts/Warmoth necks need to be kept in strict string-only conditions.

She'll be right.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I change strings often and have always done one at a time starting with the G,that's every time !,since some old geezer told me that's how to do it 20+ years ago,and I stuck with his wisdom and needed no reasons :?
Even found I had wound them on the pegs in the wrong direction when I asked a guy why my A string was buzzing after a string change,lol nooby me !! Wonder how often I have done that :oops:
Plus I have never ever cleaned or oiled a fretboard in my life :? Is that a requirement ?
But yes I have replaced pickups and taken all the strings off because it obviously made the job easier ! Never even thought or worried about neck warpage at the time. :)

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Chris wrote:Plus I have never ever cleaned or oiled a fretboard in my life :? Is that a requirement ?
Personally I clean (and occasionally oil) when I change strings, but then again I'm known among my friends for giving my bass a lot of TLC. Off the top oif my head, finished fretboards don't need maintenance, and other fretboards not much more than that, but you might want to ask a luthier that one.

To answer the thread:

I change all strings at once. It makes cleaning much easier.
A-boom boom boom boom!

lettsbasses

Post by lettsbasses » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 am

A guitar neck can withstand an awful lot of tension to the point where they are bowed like a banana before any damage ensues. There is absolutely no need to change string one at a time or to slacken off strings for transportation. All I do when mailing a bass is to slide a piece of card between the strings and fretboard to stop the strings damaging frets/fingerboard.