Rusty pick up, how do you treat them?

Maintaining, setting up or adjusting your instrument.
sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Re: Rusty pick up, how do you treat them?

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:53 pm

A friend of mine recommends scrubbing them with those green pad things you use for scouring pans, then coating them with some high-quality nail polish. I don't know where us guys are meant to find high-quality nail polish (that stuff is available in different qualities?) but there we go. Ask the missus/wife/daughter? I can imagine the weird looks that one would earn.

"Honey? Can I borrow your clear nail polish?"
"...Why?"
"Uh...... For my bass pickups?"
"What?"

Considering her P's pickups are immaculate (whether this is due to the scrubbing or the nail polish, I can't tell) I'm tempted to give it a go.
goatboy wrote:One suggestion that sort of does make sense is to apply a really thin coat of nail varnish, but again, I'm not overly keen to put a solvent anywhere near my bass.
Hmm. Delicate Nitro lacquer + nail polish... :shock:
A-boom boom boom boom!

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Yep, back in the seventies a coating of nail varnish was the standard treatment for Fender basses. Got to say, I've seen a few rusty pickups but never seen a pickup adversely affected soundwise by a bit of rust.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 10, 2014 7:46 am

I hear you goat boy. I was shocked to find rust on my Stingray 5 (which admittedly I keep under wraps quite often) pickup. I've contacted musicways who are hooking me up with a replacement pick up. Mr Glyn in Auckland (Glyn Guitars) can also source replacement pickups for you.

So yeah lesson learned for me is to give the bass a clean more regularly. I also bought some silica packets to keep inside each case. I keep about 3-4 per case.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:18 am

Jeez, never heard of anyone actually replacing a pickup because of rust, manofthematch. It must have been pretty rusty, I suppose. On my (sadly stolen by some lowlife years ago :cry: ) '62 Precision I considered a touch of rust to be part of the mojo :)

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 24, 2014 9:39 am

Yeah the rust wasn't major, but enough to be noticeable and detract (in my opinion) from the look of it. I think I sweated up a storm at a gig we did at the Powerstation and didn't clean it properly afterwards. I didn't have any of the silica packets in my bass case at the time and didn't use the bass for a couple of months.
The weirdish thing is that my a Stingray 4 I use more often and it's pickups have not shown any rust. I think I'm just a bit over cautious now.

Thankfully our band is an artist of Ernieball / Musicways so we can get good access to replacement gear, parts, instruments etc.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification