Rusty pick up, how do you treat them?

Maintaining, setting up or adjusting your instrument.
goatboy
Bronze Member

Rusty pick up, how do you treat them?

Post by goatboy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 am

I suffer from a medical condition that amongst other lots of really lovely things means that my sweat has a whole lot more electrolytes in it than a normal healthy person. This makes my sweat very corrosive and I'm a bit of a sweaty f*cker anyway when I play. I've almost completely rusted through the top 2 pick up screws on my beloved Stingray but disturbingly I've found some small rust spots on the pick up itself. In the past I've played fairly cheap basses and didn't really give a sh*t, but the considerable investment in the Stingray means that I want this one to last a bit longer.

Anyone got any ideas on how to remedy the rust problem? I've done a little bit of research and people are talking about scraping off the top layer of the pick up. That doesn't sound like a good thing....

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Re: Rusty pick up, how do you treat them?

Post by dannowilso » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:41 am

Hey man, I have a similar issue.

The pickup poles on Stingrays are chromed and over time I have chipped some of this chrome off and they are showing a bit of rust now.

I gave them a slight buff with one one those green abrasive scotch pads, nothing too serious and that removed the rust and then i sprayed some CRC808 which is a silicon spray on the pickup and wiped the excess off. I hope it gives it a bit of protection.
I also have one of those silica bag things that absorbs moisture in my case.

You could replace the pickup screws with stainless steel ones I suppose, get some from the local hardware shop but make sure you get the correct size.

I think that everytime you finish playing you should give your Ray a good wipedown!
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 pm

dannowilso wrote:I think that everytime you finish playing you should give your Ray a good wipedown!
Always a good thing to do with strays...

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 pm

I've got a bit of minor rust on the poles on my MM but it's not serious enough to do anything about. It's just showing it's age.
danno's suggestion about the post gig wipedown is a good idea although I'd be cautious about using abrasive for fear of loosing more coating.
You could also look to getting some sort of silica moisture absorbing gel packs to leave in your case.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Already do the post-gig wipe and use silica bags.

I'm not concerned that there are a few rust spots there now, I'm really just after a way to stem the flow so to speak. It seems a bit weird that people suggest that the way to get rid of the rust is to sand off a thin layer of the chrome that's on the pick ups to protect them in the first place. One suggestion that sort of does make sense is to apply a really thin coat of nail varnish, but again, I'm not overly keen to put a solvent anywhere near my bass.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Have you considered electrolyte balancing drinks to see if that helps?
I know I'd be keen to address the cause of the problem if it were me.

BTW - I know *BANNED* all!! :D

Also BTW - its just a bass guitar...its a commodity.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

That was one of your more constructive posts Rog! :lol:

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:11 pm

goatboy wrote:Already do the post-gig wipe and use silica bags.

I'm not concerned that there are a few rust spots there now, I'm really just after a way to stem the flow so to speak. It seems a bit weird that people suggest that the way to get rid of the rust is to sand off a thin layer of the chrome that's on the pick ups to protect them in the first place. One suggestion that sort of does make sense is to apply a really thin coat of nail varnish, but again, I'm not overly keen to put a solvent anywhere near my bass.
Well as an alternative ... which I in no way endorse and would not try myself without seeking pro advice .... http://www.por15.com/METAL-READY/productinfo/MRG/

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Hahaha...

Deffinately don't sand off the chrome!!
I meant use those grean pot cleaning pad things just to remove the rust because rust invites more rust to the party.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:17 pm

beagle wrote:
goatboy wrote:Already do the post-gig wipe and use silica bags.

Well as an alternative ... which I in no way endorse and would not try myself without seeking pro advice .... http://www.por15.com/METAL-READY/productinfo/MRG/
Oh god Beagle!
Mite as well just use a can of CRC ZINC IT! :lol: :lol:

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:24 pm

This:

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:37 pm

.... I'll go away and sulk now :(

p.s. This stuff's great for cracks

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:48 pm

my basses can't stop rusting. i've accepted that i'll need to change screws over time, possibly re-chrome something in the future...no biggie.
though i am a lazy sod when it comes to wiping my bass down after a sesh.

but, the Rics are shocking for the amount of rust that hits the pickup poles (even though, generally, you never touch them). i found a polish with some fine wet&dry sandpaper, followed by a thin rubbing-in of beeswax or vaseline seemed to keep them looking nicer for longer.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 pm

BluesBass wrote:This:

Hahah - our guitar player is an Indonesian Chinese,

At the end of a set he grins, strums a chord and says" In 30 seconds we just walk away...." :mrgreen:

He's a mean guitar player though as Beagle will attest to
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:53 am

I have a bassplayer friend with similar problem. On a high profile tour backing the hobbit some years back, he went through two sets of strings per show. Killed 'em stone dead.