Tuning peg becoming too stiff to turn on a p-bass

Maintaining, setting up or adjusting your instrument.
bronzet
Silver Member

Tuning peg becoming too stiff to turn on a p-bass

Post by bronzet » Thu May 14, 2015 11:20 am

Hey there everybody. I have got a tuning peg on my P-bass which is becoming very stiff to turn at times. The prev owner of the bass had it locked away in his cupboard for around 20+ years. I believe the tuning peg has become stiff because of being stored away for such a long time without being played/used. I was thinking that it might just be the case of needing to get some type of lubricant and applying it to the peg area or doing something similar. Anybody had issues with a tuning peg becoming stiff to turn and how they solved the issue? I am wanting to fix the tuning peg rather than replace it because i want to keep the bass original. If you had this prob before, let me know exactly which products you used and how you fixed it exactly.
Thanks heaps :)
Bronze
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

T-Dub
Gold Member

Re: Tuning peg becoming too stiff to turn on a p-bass

Post by T-Dub » Thu May 14, 2015 11:36 am

A little bit of crc did the trick for me on one, on another bass I just replaced whole peg.

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Sat May 16, 2015 12:04 am

Not claiming to know anything, but when I had a P copy (Hondo), it had an open Kluson type which iirc could be dismantled easily and greased. I would not recommend CRC for anything that has been greased previously. It eats grease. Found out the hard way.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:35 am

"At Times".

So I think destring then with the 'empty' troublesome peg just wind it up and down a few times. If it is still stalling "at times" then use lubricant.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Mon May 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Great. Thanks for the advice :)
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:31 pm

You need to be very careful with lubricants around the neck wood, the last thing you want to do is having a light oil seep into the headstock mounting screw holes and soften the wood, as I have seen happen on a few basses treated by overly zealous owners. I would recommend removing the machinehead from the bass, soak it in naptha (lighter fluid) and brush it with a new toothbrush. Then give it a few whirls (I use a tuner thing on the end of an electric screwdriver). This may well fix it, but if the issue remains then, and only then, would I use a toothpick to put a very light touch of Vaseline or nut sauce on the tuner threads and again give it a few whirls. Since it has been in storage for a long time it could well simply have a build up of dust and gunk which simply needs cleaning out. As a rule, I avoid lubricating machineheads on Fenders - and I have owned and do own more than my share of Leo's pre-CBS masterpieces.
Whatever you do, avoid putting oil on it while it is on the headstock. By the way, nice score :wink:

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Tue May 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I had seen similar advice on Youtube on the Stewmacdonald channel. I am thinking that i might just get in contact with a reputable guitar repairer rather than having a go fixing it at home, since it is a 72 P-bass and i have never done it before - would pref to not stuff it up lol
BTW i am on the lookout for vintage F-basses, so if you are looking at selling, please get in contact :)
Thanks for your help :)
Bronze
Tim1 wrote:You need to be very careful with lubricants around the neck wood, the last thing you want to do is having a light oil seep into the headstock mounting screw holes and soften the wood, as I have seen happen on a few basses treated by overly zealous owners. I would recommend removing the machinehead from the bass, soak it in naptha (lighter fluid) and brush it with a new toothbrush. Then give it a few whirls (I use a tuner thing on the end of an electric screwdriver). This may well fix it, but if the issue remains then, and only then, would I use a toothpick to put a very light touch of Vaseline or nut sauce on the tuner threads and again give it a few whirls. Since it has been in storage for a long time it could well simply have a build up of dust and gunk which simply needs cleaning out. As a rule, I avoid lubricating machineheads on Fenders - and I have owned and do own more than my share of Leo's pre-CBS masterpieces.
Whatever you do, avoid putting oil on it while it is on the headstock. By the way, nice score :wink:
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others