Action Off Or Not

Maintaining, setting up or adjusting your instrument.
mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Action Off Or Not

Post by mickeyj4j » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Earlier this year i upgraded my bass guitar to A new Aria IGB355 integra 5 string. My New 5 String. It plays nice and I like it.

This bass feels great to play. After I got it home I looked at the action more closely. The string action is way low. I thought new instruments would have been set up with a reasonable action before selling.
I added a capo at fret one
put my finger on fret 12
tested frets 4-8 hardly any if at all gap.
then moved up to fret 16 and tested again a small gap
went to fret 24 tested again a bit more gap.
Do you think this bass needs the action setup? (Maybe the guys in the shop I got it from would do it for free).
I have done my 4 string and acoustic guitar before. I usually leave a credit card gap but l should get a proper feeler gauge set. Is a 5 string bass anything special to set up?

Would love some feedback on this. Thanks.

PS: To keep my old passive 4 string or sell it to recuperate some cost back. Its only a cheep one. I only need one bass to use. mmmmmmmmm decisions.

john
Gold Member

Re: Action Off Or Not

Post by john » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Pretty much all shops sell instrument that are not set up and even if they did it may not be set up to your liking. But it sounds like the neck might need a bit more relief (loosen the truss rod).
It might pay to get on line and read or watch a few lessons on basic set up, it's not that hard and can save you a lot of $$$

mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Re: Action Off Or Not

Post by mickeyj4j » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:06 pm

john wrote:Pretty much all shops sell instrument that are not set up and even if they did it may not be set up to your liking. But it sounds like the neck might need a bit more relief (loosen the truss rod).
It might pay to get on line and read or watch a few lessons on basic set up, it's not that hard and can save you a lot of $$$
Exactl y done setup on my acoustic guitar and 4 string before. Actually still not changed the bass setup and it sounds good still.