What sort of pedals for deathmetal

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

What sort of pedals for deathmetal

Post by Sunjae » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm

I have been playing alot of deathmetal lately. I am now thinking about getting some pedals for when i play live and also so i can practise in my room. I have already got a 'Bass Big Muff Pi' distortion pedal which sounds great. I just need to know: Do i need any other pedals to enhance the sound? What do you guys think?
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

timi
Gold Member

Re: What sort of pedals do i need?

Post by timi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:37 pm

The Big Muff is really a fuzz rather than a distortion. Popular pedal for bass but it's more of an "effect" than something you would leave on the whole time.

For the music you are doing a good overdrive or distortion could work. There are lots around, but unfortunately most "bass pedals" sound like crap and most guitar pedals are going to cut your low end a bit. Overall I still think I prefer most guitar overdrives on bass than actual bass pedals, but go to your local shop and try out a bunch. Don't expect the guitar players behind the counter to know anything about using the guitar pedals for bass though.

The only pedal anyone actually needs is a tuner.

Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris

Post by Sunjae » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Ok then
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:44 pm

tuner and possibly a bass compressor/limiter - that'll fatten up the low end a little more when you've got the Muff cranked. of course you'll lose some playing dynamics when the compressor is engaged.

the old Rat pedal sounds mean on bass, cuts off some low frequencies though.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:50 pm

you don't need any pedal.... just a tuner

says the guy that has enough pedals to fill up a few pedal boards =)

i have a vt bass that i might be putting on sale soon. waiting for the catalinbread sft pedals to get in stock in new zealand and comparing them before i flick one of them off.

get a drive and then use a blender to keep your low end intact. just like running to amps. that is one cool options, lots of variations there wihtout losing your low frequencies.

drives and distortions are a really personality taste subject. the ashdown bass drive is pretty good to my ears. btu gets heaps of bad reviews. dont think you can get these in the country any more. never tried the boss bass od but thats a favourite among masses.

model.citizen wrote: the old Rat pedal sounds mean on bass, cuts off TOO MUCH low frequencies though.
fixed =)
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:08 pm

irvinz wrote:
model.citizen wrote: the old Rat pedal sounds mean on bass, cuts off TOO MUCH low frequencies though.
fixed =)
well, i was gonna say that CUT means drop to zero :D and if it's on all the time then you can compensate somewhat with the EQ on your amp.

but as a boost/enhancement effect yeah it's a low killer. still have mine, my very first pedal purchase, can't bear to part with it.

i run a VT Bass myself for my dirty sound now, with an older MI Tube Zone in front for when i need to wake up the front row :twisted:
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Sunjae
Bronze Member

Post by Sunjae » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Ok. :)