Running a 12v pedal from a 9v psu?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
cminor131

Running a 12v pedal from a 9v psu?

Post by cminor131 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I can get some insight here.

I'm looking at sourcing a couple of pedals from overseas, one of them being the T-rex Squeezer Compressor. I like the sound of it and have been looking for a new compressor for a while. I like the versatility and fine-tuning ability of he 6-knob function, and I like the sound that I"ve seen online.

The big drawback is that it's a 12v pedal. I know this is the general voltage for tube pedals. There is an adaptor that is supplied with it, but obviously that won't work here. I currently run a pedal supply that has 9v and 18v outputs.

I haven't been able to find out any info on wether this pedal will run on 9v instead of 12v. I know that 12v is optimum for tube pedals, and my goal is to sort out a custom power supply with some 12v ports, but I don't have the money to upgrade all at once. There's plenty of info around on running 9v pedals through a 12v psu, but none the other way around.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this pedal or something similar and can offer some insight? Does it just not work? Does it work but sound average? I'm aware that there are 12v pedals that run fine on 9v (like the Nova Delay) but I believe they're all digital. I'm happy to just get a NZ 12v psu if I need to, but would rathr keep everything to my pedal power if possible.

Thanks!

Cminor

Harley
Gold Member

Re: Running a 12v pedal from a 9v psu?

Post by Harley » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:59 am

cminor131 wrote:The big drawback is that it's a 12v pedal.
There are plenty of second hand 12V battery chargers out there if you hunt around. The drills and batteries are long dead but the chargers still live.

If you are handy with electronics ( find a mate who is if you aren't ) then all you have to do is take the two wires from the transformed taps out of the coils. Use a connector block to join the wires to the existing plug and wires so that if you get the pos and neg the wrong way around, it is easily fixed.

I have done that with an old 18V battery charger for a Trace Elliot compressor.

I just wouldn't run 12v stuff of 9V
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:23 am

Jaycar sell heaps of power adapters, they should have something that works. Is it 12V AC or DC?
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 am

ryanmaiden wrote:Jaycar sell heaps of power adapters, they should have something that works. Is it 12V AC or DC?
True.

Here's some from DSE http://search.dse.com.au/search?w=power ... 663&ts=new

I just remembered I have one at home which provides DC output voltages of 5, 7.5, 12

These are cheap and work fine, plus they come with a range of plugs.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:48 am

You should be able to throw the correct resistor on one of the 18V outputs to get it down to 12V, I think.....

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:01 am

Use a cheapo 12v charger of some sort and splice the power jack onto the end. It's just 2 minutes of soldering. Don't know if 12v battery chargers push enough current to run a pedal, but you can give those a go too.

In terms of changing voltages, it's better to go down from 18v to 12v, rather than from 9v to 12v.

TBH, though, I'd go with Harley & ryanmaiden's idea.
A-boom boom boom boom!