Electroharmonix POG and HOG - anyone tried?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Electroharmonix POG and HOG - anyone tried?

Post by definite » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Anyone got experience with the Electroharmonix hog/pog pedals? Im looking at the HOG but strictly looking atm cos its $900 nzd retail!

irvinz
Gold Member

Re: Electroharmonix POG and HOG - anyone tried?

Post by irvinz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:41 am

kev77 and myself are probably the best two people to ask on this forum :)

i've used both on bass. i'm sure kev77 has atleast had a go on them on guitar.
what are you looking for in particular? let me post a picture of my board when it had a pog2 on. days when i did a few organic dnb gigs.

2 incarnations
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:12 am

Used to own a Pog (original one), and have played in a band with a guitarist who has a Hog (but never played bass through it).

The Pog can be kinda cool on guitar when you play chords but since bass is usually single note it always comes off sounding the same. I liked the sound at first but got bored really quickly, plus you can hear a Pog a mile away, it just stands out too much. Latency was annoying too, ended up selling mine and going back to a regular analog octave.

As I said I never tried the Hog with bass, but it's kinda similar to the Pog really. Latency is even worse, in my opinion unusable. The guitarist I played with had his Hog on the whole time pretty much, he always sounded just behind the beat. When we recorded I had to split his signal and have him listen to a non-effected signal through an amp sim so he could play in time. I wish he didn't use that stupid thing.

If you want either one I suggest buying used so you don't lose heaps of money when you decide you don't like it after a few months :lol:

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:34 am

the POG2 has much less latency. pretty much zilch. i'm right there agreeing with timi that it gets boring after awhile if your not playing 'chords' on bass :) but it has a vast amount of possibilities but involves lots of tinkering around with other effects too.

HOG is a cool thing to mess around with. didn't have the chance to use it live but you just don't spend nzd900. you also spend another nzd320 or so to get the foot controller. or else it won't be worth it.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

wattage

Post by wattage » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:58 pm

I have both.. the POG1 is really nice...much richer sounding and better for recordings. The HOG has some cool features including a VERY nice filter that can be used with and EXP pedal... I dont use the POG live and for space reasons ..so just have the HOG on my board...which can do a good enough POG impression for gigs... Both pedals really need a good delay pedal in conjunction to sound super sweet...
If i had to choose id go with the HOG for more bells and whistles..