Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

compressor options?

Post by model.citizen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 am

i've got a Boss bass limiter that i run all the time in my chain to retain some string balance...but i'm also needing at times a decent sustain without having to stand next to the cabinet controlling the feedback :evil:

what compressors out there are decent and cheap-ish that sustain well, without really squashing and killing your tone? my last experience with compressors was a DOD Milkbox, and that wasn't the greatest pedal (and an FMR RNC compressor, which is beautiful for mixes, but does nothing much for instruments).
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Fyrbyrd
Bronze Member

Re: compressor options?

Post by Fyrbyrd » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Boss cs3 compressor is cheapish ($90 on trademe I think), and gives plenty of sustain without too much impact on tone. I have one but switched to a keeley compressor which adds a big improvement in tone, as well as sustain.
cheers

GrowlerBox
Bronze Member

Post by GrowlerBox » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:58 am

Check out http://www.ovnilab.com for some pretty comprehensive compressor reviews. Cyrus is also a regular Talkbass contributor (under "bongomania").

I have the Seymour Duncan Doubleback compressor which I find to be very useful for bass -- peak limiting is not its main function but it does a reasonable job, and has a 3-way switchable filter and level knob for blending in all or part of your uncompressed signal. The sustain knob gradually increases the compression ratio from 1:1 to 20:1, but raises the noise floor unacceptably past about 1 o'clock (which is still better than most). For my part, I found the Boss a bit "all or nothing" - very much a limiter. The Line 6 was OK and pretty cheap; the EHX was bloody noisy.

That's the limit of my experience compressed into a few sentences :? . All right, all right, but whaddaya expect for nothin?
Christopher 401T flatback carved upright bass (Gage Realist Soundclip and Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass or fdeck HPF-Pre)
NS Design CR4M EUB
Markbass F1
TC Electronic RH450
BFM Jack 112 (a la Harley)

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:31 am

cool, thanks for that.

the Boss LMB3 wasn't doing much apart from giving a bit of string balance...no real sustain at all.

but i went through some drawers of stuff and found a Nobels CO2 compressor...not bad actually, though i probably wouldn't want to use it for recording - not terribly transparent - but it should work in a live situation (for now at least).
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Fyrbyrd
Bronze Member

Post by Fyrbyrd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:33 pm

The CS in the Boss CS3 is "compressor sustainer" so must be quite different from the limiter - not that I'm suggesting its for you, but it does sustain for ever. though can add ground noise at the same time.

GrowlerBox
Bronze Member

Post by GrowlerBox » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:54 am

You're right -- my comment was directed at the limiter pedal as well; sorry. I have no experience with the CS3.
Christopher 401T flatback carved upright bass (Gage Realist Soundclip and Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass or fdeck HPF-Pre)
NS Design CR4M EUB
Markbass F1
TC Electronic RH450
BFM Jack 112 (a la Harley)

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:56 am

Easiest way to understand compression vs limiting is to understand ratios. A typical compression ratio is 3:1, so for every 3dB over the threshold the level will increase 1dB. A limiter is a compressor with a ratio higher than 10:1, ie it limits the level very suddenly. At extreme settings a compressor should sound more natural than a limiter.

The sustain you can get is just how you use the release time. A quick release time will cause the end of a sustained note to sound louder for longer in relation to the initial attack which was compressed.

No compressor will be totally transparent but some are better than others. The Boss CS3 isn't that good I found it really chokes the tone, but they are cheap.